Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blower motor resistor

Igovert500
01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
So our Grand Am seems to need a new one. The blower only works on the higher levels, not the lower ones. Just wondering what is a fair price for a new one. I want to figure out if I'm going to get a better deal via Autozone or my employee discount at a dealership. I just checked Autozone's website and it's like $20 for a new one...can I expect to find it cheaper somewhere else? Thanks.

Ridenour
01-03-2006, 09:26 AM
I think it's like 11 off of Gmpartsdirect.com, but then you have to pay like $ 9 in shipping. It's really going to end up being 20 to 25 no matter where you get it. The only cheaper alternative I could think of would be to go take one out of a junkyard, but it might not neccesarily be the new style with the coating to protect it against further failure.

99gadriver
01-03-2006, 04:03 PM
I have the same problem. How difficult is it to replace the part. My blower motor only works on settings 3,4,and5. What is the part number I would need? 99 GA w/ AC.

99gadriver
01-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Nevermind. I found it in a different thread.

Igovert500
02-06-2006, 02:43 AM
Just replaced it today. That rear 7/32" bolt was an absolute PITA. There wasn't enough room to get either size socket wrench under it, and using an adjustable wrench took freaking forever. The fact that it was snowing and i was upsidedown for over an hour under the dash didn't put me in the best of moods. Glad it's done with. Thanks for the help.

tommy00gt1
02-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Hi friends... Mine works fine, but I am curious to know where exactly it is located.... under the dash??? Can you get access to it by removing the glove box? Seems to be a common problem, so i'm just familiarizing myself for a possible future replacement of it. Thanks!

Tommy

Igovert500
02-06-2006, 04:09 PM
It is under the glovebox. Basically, you have to lie upsidedown under the glovebox. There is a plastic panel held in by 1 plastic clip thing which you pry off with a flathead. Then that plastic piece comes out. Then teh larger plastic panel is held on by 3 small bolts. I think they were like 9/32", all easily accessible.

Now you can see it. It is all the way in the back, against the firewall. Mine had a blue plastic base. It was held in by two 7/32" bolts. The rear one was a complete PITA to get at, and I never bothered putting it back when I replaced the resistor.

tommy00gt1
02-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Excellent !! Thanks so much for the very detailed description. So far mine is o.k., but it is good to know its' location as it seems to be a common occurance. Hope I don't have to mess with it, but you never know.... Thank you again Igovert500.

Tommy

Add your comment to this topic!