Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP! 2001 Rio will not start after turning off!

easyslider
01-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Help! I have a 2001 Rio that runs and drives fine but sometimes when I turn it off after driving a while it will not restart? The engine turns over fine, but it does not even sound like it is trying to start. Then after several tries the engine starts and runs fine? I do not mean hard to start I mean it acts like the coil wire (I know it does not have one) is removed? Then I will turn the key after several tries and it will start right up? Been to dealer and they found nothing? I never know it is going to start or not? Any suggestions???

MeettheCreeper
01-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Help! I have a 2001 Rio that runs and drives fine but sometimes when I turn it off after driving a while it will not restart? The engine turns over fine, but it does not even sound like it is trying to start. Then after several tries the engine starts and runs fine? I do not mean hard to start I mean it acts like the coil wire (I know it does not have one) is removed? Then I will turn the key after several tries and it will start right up? Been to dealer and they found nothing? I never know it is going to start or not? Any suggestions???

How does it run after it is started? Any MILs on?

easyslider
01-02-2006, 06:55 AM
How does it run after it is started? Any MILs on?

Hello
After the cars does start, it acts like nothing was ever wrong with it? It runs fine, no lights(check) on, nothing. It starts fine cold, and most of the time when hot, but every so often when I pull into a store and run in and come back out it will not start? Just cranks over fine but does not even hint it is going to start and then after several (10 or 15) tries it fires right up like nothing was ever wrong? Any thing would be helpful! Thanks

MeettheCreeper
01-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Hello
After the cars does start, it acts like nothing was ever wrong with it? It runs fine, no lights(check) on, nothing. It starts fine cold, and most of the time when hot, but every so often when I pull into a store and run in and come back out it will not start? Just cranks over fine but does not even hint it is going to start and then after several (10 or 15) tries it fires right up like nothing was ever wrong? Any thing would be helpful! Thanks

You may have a pending code in the computer for the crank sensor.

If the crank sensor is failing the fuel pump will not turn on until the ECM commands it to. THe ECM must see a crank signal to turn on the fuel pump.

You would need a scanner to see if you have RPM signal when cranking. If no crank signal I would suspect the crank sensor.

Another way is to see if you have fuel psi when cranking, if you have fuel psi then the crank sensor should be working.

easyslider
01-06-2006, 08:37 AM
You may have a pending code in the computer for the crank sensor.

If the crank sensor is failing the fuel pump will not turn on until the ECM commands it to. THe ECM must see a crank signal to turn on the fuel pump.

You would need a scanner to see if you have RPM signal when cranking. If no crank signal I would suspect the crank sensor.

Another way is to see if you have fuel psi when cranking, if you have fuel psi then the crank sensor should be working.

Hello
I had the codes checked in the computer, nothing on a crank sensor? Would it only show up while cranking when it will not start or would it store the problem in the computer? If it stores the code, that must not be it? It had no codes in computer except for a transmission code that Autozone did not know what it was for? Any suggestions? :confused:

Add your comment to this topic!