Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

airbag light

dfitz176
12-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey all, newbie here. I have a '99 88 I just got and the airbag light is on. It's been crashed and repaired and airbags deployed. How do I rearm/ get the light out? A new(?) SIR was included but no help. At first the airbag light would flash 3 times and then stay on but after I replaced it it just stays on with no flashing. Reinstalled the old one and now IT just stays on with no flashing. Is there a rearm procedure after power failure? Also, I know there is lots of info available from the airbag brain and ABS brain but how can I access it? A code would help find my problem but I can't afford a thousand dollar scanner. I have a program on my laptop for my old OBD1 systems, is there a download and cheap cable to make to talk to these systems?

GTP Dad
12-31-2005, 05:55 PM
You need to take the car to a mechanic that has a scanner capable of reading air bag codes. Most scanners will not read these codes. This will tell him where to look to repair the issue. If the light is on steady it indicates that there is a problem in the system and it may not deploy if the car is in an accident. Get it checked right away.

PS. Scanners capable of reading these codes are often too expensive for the average diy'er.

Welcome to AF!

MT-2500
12-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Use caution with Air bags.
Unless you are trained to work on them it is better to let someone that is do it.
They can kill/injure you in a split second or save your life when you need them.
They are just like a loaded shotgun shell. They can blow in a split second.
So be careful out there. :lol2: MT

Add your comment to this topic!