Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

desperate->keeps turning off, com-> misfire->torque converter circuit stuck on

dblanton
12-31-2005, 03:50 PM
1998 bonneville.

problems.
The car turns on and it will start up for about 20 secs if I dont give it any gas. The engine sounds good. Then it will sputter a little and then turn off. It will stay running as long as I keeps constant pressure on the peddle.

Before it broke: It was running ruff when it was idleing/stopped. I could smell fuel just a little. The fuel gage would bounce from empty to 1/4 tank.
also as I would accelerate it would hesitate going from 1500 rpms to 2500 rpms. I dont know if this will help.

I have replaced the sparks plugs(3 of them were bad), wires. I had the coils checked and they are good. I replaced the module.It was bad I replaced the no2 sensors. going into the manifold

I hooked the computer up to the car and it said.
Torque converter circuit stuck on P0742
Random/Multiple cylinder misfire. P0300

please help Dblantonstu@hotmail.com or 910-583-6623

maxwedge
12-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Get the fuel pressure checked, replace the fuel filter also, this is basic diagnostics. Very difficult to diagnose here, is it running on all cylinders when it runs, then just quits, does it start right back up. Any other work done, was the work you did connected to this problem?

JimmySLS
01-01-2006, 06:50 PM
I would check fuel pressure..Sounds like it is possible fuel related.like fuel press. regulator,fuel filter or fuel pump and or sending unit..Also you may want to have your computer flashed I have heard this also helps..Then if and when it happens again it may set different codes.What kind of plugs and wires did you use?Are they gapped correctly?What was the condition of the first ones?

dblanton
01-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Thank you for the help

I used Autolite plugs, and bosch wires. They have been change three times in six months, I had the bosch platium plugs in there. They only lasted a couple of months, Then I put in autolite. They lasted about 6 months. Yes, they were gap. also in july I had my waterpump replaced. if that helps,
I am going to check the fuel pressure 2mrw

Add your comment to this topic!