Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CD player installation

mtcotton9188
12-31-2005, 02:48 PM
I recently purchased a standerd CD player to install into my 94 Buick Regal. My father and I found ourselves in over our heads very quickly when one of the people at Best Buy looked at the interior and said "Oh, you have one of those cars." He offered us a case that attaches at the top to the bottom of the dash that the CD player could fit into as well as the wires that adapt to the manufacturer's wireing. After realizing that the space below the cassette player is not at all flat or smooth, we decided to make a two-layered mount for the casing out of wood. The first layer will screw into the bottom of the dash board into existing holes and flaten the surface to put another board that is the length and width of the case that will screw into the first board. We will then drill holes in the second board in accordance with the holes that are in the mounting of the casing that will house the CD player. This is the mechanical side of the process. The electrical side, is getting through the dash to the manufactured cables for the speakers and power. We successfully got the trim off as well as the radio, and we got the cables that went into it. There is a problem that none of the cables come close to fitting inside of the adapter that we bought. So far the mechnical has gone well in that we have constructed the first board, though it bows quite a bit. We are now in the electrical issue of finding the harness, if it exists, that will fit to our adapter so that the CD player can work at all. Any and all help and guidance would be extremely appreciated.

-Matt

mtcotton9188
12-31-2005, 03:25 PM
We have made some recent progress on the electrical. We found the harness of what is the real radio inside the car. Un fourtunately, we now have the problem that the original plug with the adapter harness and the harness that will plug into the CD player itself are not long enough to do the job, so we are going to Home Depot to get some wire to bridge the gap. Any suggestions or tips for us on the rest of the task would be greatly appreciated.

dreager
01-01-2006, 12:01 AM
We have made some recent progress on the electrical. We found the harness of what is the real radio inside the car. Un fourtunately, we now have the problem that the original plug with the adapter harness and the harness that will plug into the CD player itself are not long enough to do the job, so we are going to Home Depot to get some wire to bridge the gap. Any suggestions or tips for us on the rest of the task would be greatly appreciated.

Pays to read similar posts.....
the entire installation is here with pics

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/GM/Regal.html

rrichard7
01-08-2006, 04:20 AM
I purchased a radio / cd from Crutchfield. They give you everything you need (hardware and instructions).

Add your comment to this topic!