Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 rodeo 5spd 4x4 not working

pilotgmb
12-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Hi all new to this forum, and realize this question has probably been asked a million times already but here goes. Have a 1998 rodeo 4x4 with a 5spd standard trans. 4x4 worked last winter but was not smart enough to hit the button as described in this forum during the off season. This winter when I select 4x4 the dash light blinks 4x4 and the driveline engages I can hear it and feel it but no drive to front wheels. Today I removed the 4 bolts holding the vaccum actuator to the front axle, and with the 4x4 switch on I manually slid the shifter fork to the left, and the 4x4 light remained on. I then hit the button to disconnect the 4x4 and my buddy could see the shift fork move back to the disconnect position. tried it again but no encagement. Therefor it seems to work on the disengage but will not engage. Any help or suggestions would be great thanks Geoff :frown:

rodeo02
12-31-2005, 06:28 AM
Geoff, if you take apart the electric shift on the fly actuator (SOTF) you will probably find it's all rusted up inside. They typically trap moisture & the electric motor gets rusty. That's my guess if you are not getting full range of motion on the fork. You *might* be able to free it up with penetrating oil or the likes, lube it up real good and get it to work again. They ususally just changeout the SOTF actuator.

Joel

Uncle Pow
08-06-2007, 09:49 AM
How did you get a 5 spd std tranny on a 98 4wd? I was told the 4 spd auto was the only thing that will fit on it with 4wd? I feel totally cheated now! Where can I get my hands on a 5 Spd std 4wd tranny?

Gizmo42
08-06-2007, 12:46 PM
How did you get a 5 spd std tranny on a 98 4wd? I was told the 4 spd auto was the only thing that will fit on it with 4wd? I feel totally cheated now! Where can I get my hands on a 5 Spd std 4wd tranny?

Someone fed you a line. I have a '99 which is identical to a '98 with 5 speed and 4wd. The 5 speeds are a little harder to come by cuz so many ppl ordered them with autos, but not all that much harder.

Uncle Pow
08-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Someone fed you a line. I have a '99 which is identical to a '98 with 5 speed and 4wd. The 5 speeds are a little harder to come by cuz so many ppl ordered them with autos, but not all that much harder.

Yeah, I totally got owned by this Rodeo. But I've got to hang on to it for at least another year while I rebuild my credit. I'm shooting for a Subaru WRX wagon for my next car. After driving the Rodeo in bad Texas weather enough times, you begin to appreciate the availability of 4wd. Now I don't want to let it go! i just wish I had known about that 5 spd sooner, I just dropped $2000 on getting this 4 spd auto rebuilt!

EDIT:
What is the model number on that tranny? Does it have a fluid dipstick? and how heavy is the clutch, as I am not used to manual transmissions and the only one I have tried to drive was a friends Z28 which had quite a heavy clutch?

megavolt121
08-06-2007, 05:26 PM

They came standard, I have one. Unlike other vehicles, the tranny and transfer case are one complete unit. I had to purchase a replacement tranny/transfer case and I got it from www.junkyarddog.com. IIRC, I paid around 800 for that sucker.

Gizmo42
08-06-2007, 07:17 PM
The tranny/t-case is an Isuzu MUA-5. Some earlier models had a borg warner 5 speed with seperate t-case. The t-case being part of the trans is the only 'draw back' that I know of. If you have to remove them its heavy, and any work on one means tearing both apart.

The clutch is pretty light unless you put a heavy duty clutch in it. Its hydraulic operated which makes it really light. Much better then the mitsu I had which had a cable operated clutch.

rambo1214
08-09-2007, 10:44 PM
My 99 Rodeo S has a Borg Warner and my 99 Rodeo LS has a MUA. If I can just find a green 99 Rodeo auto I'll have all of the engine and trans available for the 2G rodeos.

Add your comment to this topic!