Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What is good about the Grand Am GT? Does it have a nice sound, etc...

imecalco2004
12-29-2005, 11:02 PM
I just want to know if I should upgrade to a Grand Am GT. They look nice, but I want to know what the big deal is about them.

Gir-_-
12-30-2005, 01:18 AM
GT Coupe is nice :)

GT, lets see ...think 180hp stock *new*
GT Trim *shrug* dunno details

Im sure someone else can help you out more than I did lol

rockfan0005
12-30-2005, 12:02 PM
personally if I could go back in time and buy a different car, I probably would.
Here are the nice things about them:
they have great looks in and out
they get pretty good gas mileage for a v6
they're decently fast stock, nothing great but they're ok

bad things about them:
their front wheel drive x_x
their automatic X_X
they are really expensive to upgrade and the aftermarket on them isn't the best

I would sell my car, but it's resale value is horrible and it's too much effort that I don't need. They aren't all that bad of cars, their better than a lot but they're also worse than a lot. For my next car i'm going with a camaro.

imecalco2004
01-01-2006, 06:14 PM
yeah. I was just wondering, because you know how there is Mustang and then their is Mustang GT. The GT sounds more tough and stuff like that. I was just wondering if the Grand Am GT was way different than the Grand Am.

Ridenour
01-01-2006, 07:29 PM
along with what rockfan said, I'd figuire I'd hit some highlights that I can think of- assuming this is a newer GT (BTW gir, you were close, they're 175 hp stock, with 215 ft/pds I believe):

GOOD
Look good outside
Look good inside (think jet cockpit) interior quality high
Pretty torquey low-end for being a V-6 / decent FD ratio
not fast, but not slow - good enough for pant-pissing emergency freeway merges
Good mileage (I've gotten 30 mpg on the freeway in mine)
not too shabby handling or stopping power
Good interior room / trunk space
Not too hard to work on
FWD in the snow

BAD
FWD on the pavement lol :)
no manual transmission available
Aftermarket isn't great... though it is growing
notorious LIM issue
some minor stuff like multifunction switch / window stuff
like rockfan said, bad resale value
stock rotors are shit (true of all n-bodies)

gravis2000
01-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Well, I like ride and the handeling of the car. I liked the looks of it inside and out. The car is not super fast but it is not bad for what it is. I wanted a middle of the road car that got good gas mileage. I like the car but I have had a lot off issues with it and it has been tough dealing with all the crap. I have 132,000 on the car so it has not been all bad and it's a 99.

Hoags
01-02-2006, 02:17 AM
One of the best things about the GAGT or the GASE for that matter is that for the most part it is a reliable car, If you go back through this forum you will see some of the issues that people have had with the GA's but you also have to look at the number of GA's still running. Pontiac has produced a lot of them and I mean A LOT so the ratio of flat out bad GA's really becomes irrelevant. Just like any car they WILL develop problems at some time, it is a machine and no one has built a machine that can not fail at sometime.

The Front Wheel drive has a great advantage in bad weather over a real wheel drive. I have a 96 GAGT since new and I live in W.PA and we get our share of snow. I have never put snow tires on it...never have goyyen stuck either.

I love mine...but that's me.

Add your comment to this topic!