Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 K1500 turns over but won't start

K15004X4
12-29-2005, 05:40 PM
I have a 96 Chevy K1500 5.7 Vortec. When I went to start it this morning it would turnover but would not start. It was running fine up until I parked it 5 days ago. Any ideas? I need to get running ASAP!

79403ta
12-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Check to make sure its getting spark first then check fuel pressure...fuel filter could be stopped up fuel pump could have died...alot of possibilities but spark and fuel is a good start

K15004X4
12-29-2005, 09:42 PM
When I turn the key to the Run position I can hear the Fuel Pump turn on. What is the best way to test for spark and fuel pressure? Is there a gauge or tester for fuel pressure?

Crasen
12-30-2005, 01:12 AM
The best way to check for spark is with a labscope however most people will not have one around the house. A test you can ussually get by with is removing the spark plug, connecting the plug wire up, then laying the plug on bare clan metal on the engine. Have someone try to start the engine and watch the spark plug to see if it sparks. If you have a timing light just hook it up when trying to start the engine and see if it flashes. For checking fuel pressure you can get a fuel pressure gauge at an auto partsd store or a sears. You can probably borrow one from an autoparts store. I am not sure what your fuel pressure should be. Depending on your fuel injection system in your truck it could be as low as 9-13 psi for a throttle body system. For a Multiport fuel injection I am not positive what the pressure is. It is probably around 40 psi or so but that is just ballpark. If you try these and can narrow it down I am sure somebody can help you the rest of the way

skipr
12-31-2005, 01:14 AM
If you have CSFI (central sesquential fuel injection used on the 96-98 vortec V8's) fuel pressure is 60 psi, it can NOT even drop 5 psi. A running fuel pump does not mean a good fuel pump. I had one go bad, even though it was working and pumping fuel. The capacity and preesure where too low. The test valve is on the fuel supply line along the intake manifold, drivers side, near the pcv valve. You need a gauge with a 100 psi scale, the pressure should go to 60 -65 psi and not drop at all. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the crankshaft position sensor, I would not think it will be a no spark problem (not very common to lose spark on these engines). Can only be two things...no fuel or no spark.

Add your comment to this topic!