Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

question about panel lights from total newbie

She57
12-29-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm a complete newbie about cars. I have a '91 Buick Regal and after three years of being ripped off by mechanics I am trying to do some of my own simple repairs. My recent problem has to do with the lights in the instrument panel. The whole panel lights up except for the gear section. The guys at Canadian Tire tell me it's a light bulb that has to be replaced and in order to replace it they have to remove the entire front dash/front panel. Their estimated cost to do this: $250. My question: is this true? Do you really have to take off the front panel to replace a little bulb on the instrument panel? Would someone really design something that dumb? My $3 solution has been to shine a flashlight on the gear panel. Not very elegant but it works. Any information is appreciated. Cheers, Shelagh.

BNaylor
12-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Needless to say the auto shop is correct. The instrument panel lamps remove from the rear of the instrument panel (IP). They are in holders that twist off. Therefore the complete dash bezel must be removed and the IP loosened and tilted forward for access. The IP lamps are normally AC Delco L194 but brands like Sylvania 194 work fine.

Hope that answers your question and good luck.

dreager
01-04-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm a complete newbie about cars. I have a '91 Buick Regal and after three years of being ripped off by mechanics I am trying to do some of my own simple repairs. My recent problem has to do with the lights in the instrument panel. The whole panel lights up except for the gear section. The guys at Canadian Tire tell me it's a light bulb that has to be replaced and in order to replace it they have to remove the entire front dash/front panel. Their estimated cost to do this: $250. My question: is this true? Do you really have to take off the front panel to replace a little bulb on the instrument panel? Would someone really design something that dumb? My $3 solution has been to shine a flashlight on the gear panel. Not very elegant but it works. Any information is appreciated. Cheers, Shelagh.

Dont feel threatened by a measley dash lol. Its roughly 6 screws to get trim piece off, and 4 to get cluster out. Do it one screw at a time heh. Take the bulbs from ur idiot light section on far left and swap em all over. They're only used on startup, or buy new. Careful with gear seletor cable when pulling out cluster.
So far with the help of this forum and Haynes manual I saved more than $1000. All my electrics were screwed e.g. keyless entry, reverse lights , indicator, left brake , trunk unlock to name a few, thats why i got it cheap.
Check rockauto.com ,their parts are 1/3 Canadain rate. E.G. signal switch, canada napa $268 cad, rockauto $108 cad with shipping (which btw only needed adjusting so didn't have to buy) , and they have Paypal.
Invest in the Can. Tire tool kit, (its good quality), they seem to have it on every other week for $69 ,(best $70 I ever spent) a pack of torx wrenchs $8, $20 on a haynes manual ,and you'll be king/queen off da heap.$100 investment saves you $1000.
Good luck,
The only dumb question is the one not asked.

She57
01-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the great information and encouragement. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! Cheers, Shelagh.

dreager
01-05-2006, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=She57]Thanks for the great information and encouragement. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! Cheers, Shela
any time,thats how i got started too.

Add your comment to this topic!