Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

so, i'm a girl....

hawaii15
12-29-2005, 12:49 PM
as the subject states i am a girl. and i always hear that females can really be taken advantage of, especially in the automotive industry. i've had my rodeo a little over 3 years now. this past year i have been taking a more proactive approach to doing my own maintenance work. i'm learning my way under the hood and trying to understand the basics of the transmission. the last month and a half i have had a few things happen. unfortunately it was "after the fact" that i found i could do these repairs myself. but luckily i still have warranty so i'm not so bent out of shape about it.

about 6 weeks ago i had a "brake make-over". new rotors, new pads, new shoes in the rear, new spring kit. the works!! just this past week my right rear cylinder sprung a leak, brake fluid completely emptied out of the line. the midas man who did my brakes said that can be expected sometimes when new brake work is done. that was all i got. i needed more information on how and why, but i failed to ask.

did i get the run around? is this really true? were they trying to cover there butts? my male roommate said that he doesn't buy it, but what's a girl to do?

any advice out there?

amigo-2k
12-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Go back to where you had it done, and make them repair it for free. Period.

Midus focuses on Brakes and mufflers.

a wheel cylinder that breaks could be due to a defect, or it was not properly installed. Either way it they should warranty their work for more then 6 weeks.

What is the year and mileage of your truck?

rodeo02
12-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Assuming this is a 4x2 w/ rear drum brakes? Rear wheel cylinders can and do go at any time, but after a shoe change is most common since the length of stroke is so drastically changed on them after the nice thick new shoes are installed. It is best to change or re-build the wheel cylinders on a shoe changeout. Rear brakes (especially drums) should go a good 50-60K+ miles for the average driver anyway.

G/luck
Joel

amigo-2k
12-29-2005, 02:13 PM
I can see she has a 2002.

I have 70k on my brakes with no issues yet (2wd, drums in the rear).

rodeo02
12-29-2005, 02:23 PM
I had a nissan sentra that went over 80K on the original rear drums, yet my 2001 van's are SHOT at 57K. In fact I neglected them so bad that it's getting dropped off at the shop tonight :uhoh: :nutkick: .

Joel

hawaii15
12-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Assuming this is a 4x2 w/ rear drum brakes? Rear wheel cylinders can and do go at any time, but after a shoe change is most common since the length of stroke is so drastically changed on them after the nice thick new shoes are installed. It is best to change or re-build the wheel cylinders on a shoe changeout. Rear brakes (especially drums) should go a good 50-60K+ miles for the average driver anyway.

G/luck
Joel

thanks for the insight. greatly appreciated. i'm really encouraged to change the left one myself. will my haynes book give me good direction on how to go about doing that?

directory
12-30-2005, 09:05 AM
if the haynes boof doesn't. we are all here for Q&A's i'm sure everything you'll need to know is already covered on here, or someone can post a link to other forums. that's why i love this site :licka:

Add your comment to this topic!