Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

weird car

JMEEEE
12-28-2005, 02:45 AM
I have a 1994 Toyota Camry 4 Cylinder and it acts really weird. Sometimes it will die out when I am driving it and it will die out. When I try to start it I get no response not even a click. However if I wait a few minutes it will be able to start again. Somone told me that it could be the safety neutral switch. Could that be a possible problem? Thanks

Daniel M. Dreifus
12-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Remove, clean and reinstall the battery cables.
Make sure they're tight.

JMEEEE
12-28-2005, 01:14 PM
The battery cables are tight. We even had the terminals changed. The same problem still occurs. But thanks for the advice. The car dies out when I drive it and then it won't start until a few minutes. It probably isn't the batterycable because practically for any car, you can pull out the battery when its running because it runs on alternator when the car is started. But thanks again for the advice. I'm still not sure what the problem with my car is though.

Brian R.
12-28-2005, 03:16 PM
A bad neutral safety switch would keep you from starting, but it wouldn't kill the engine while it was running. Your car will run in any gear.

So far, the only thing I can think of is a bad ignition switch or harness.

JMEEEE
12-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Whenever I try to start the car the RPM gauge jumps up and goes back down before I turn the key to start it. The car kicks but it does not want to start. However once and a while it does start and the check engine turns on when the car is not moving, but when I press the gas the check engine signal turns off. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!!

Brian R.
12-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Get the codes from the ECM. Check the procedure for OBDI cars in the FAQ thread.

Toysrme
01-01-2006, 03:22 AM
I think the main relay is bad. It sounds like it's overheating & the switch arm opens (cutting power) & when it cools back down it works again & the cycle repeates.

Something like that.

Ya get the ECU codes.

Add your comment to this topic!