Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

please help, 93 sunbird no start!!!!

208firefighter
12-27-2005, 04:42 PM
I have a 93 sunbird with a 3.1 and it was parked for 5 months and now won't start. It turns over fine, but will not catch. I checked and it IS getting spark, and there is fuel going into the fuel rail, but not into the cylinders. I pushed the valve on top of the rail and it is spurting alot of fuel, and when I turn it over for a long time and pull the plugs, they are bone dry. I checked the fuel injectors and there IS power going to every injector with the key on, but for some reason, the car won't start. I find it almost impossible to believe that all the injectors failed, so where should I look? There definetly IS fuel inside the rails, but it will not go into the cylinders. When I spray quick start into airbox, the motor will catch, but stop once I stop spraying. This seems like a fuel delivery problem but I am stuck on where to look next, any ideas??

GTP Dad
12-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Check the wiring to the injectors to see if the wiring is good. If it sat for that period of time it is possible that a mouse or other small animal has damaged the wiring. The other issue is the ECM which may have gone bad. Check all the connections to the ECM including the ground. The ecm controls the fuel signal to the injectors.
Welcome to AF!

208firefighter
12-27-2005, 06:23 PM
thanks for the invite to this site!!! I have checked all the wiring to the injectors and they all seem fine. Where do I find the ECM? I put a power tester on the injectors and everyone of them are getting power when I turn the key on, but I have not checked the ECM. I know for sure that the car is getting spark, and fuel is comming strong from the pump to the rail, but just not getting from the rail into the cylinders. Once you tell me where the ECM is, I will check that. Maybe it is not giving the injectors the signal to spit fuel out. The car ran great right up until the time that I parked it, now it just won't start. If I spray quick start into the airbox, it fires up. Or if I pull off the plenum and dump fuel into the motor that way, it fires up then dies once fuel runs out. Its just for some reason that the injectors won't allow fuel to go from the rail, into the cylinder and I'd hate to buy all new injectors and it still not start.
thanks for your help and I look for your responce.
thanks again

GTP Dad
12-28-2005, 08:52 AM
As someone stated the ECM is located behind the glove box. For a car this age the the ecm shouldn't cost a lot to replace but check all connections and the ground first. Also check to make sure that there is power to the ECM. Without it the injectors will not operate and put fuel into the engine.

208firefighter
12-30-2005, 06:45 PM
I havent been able to test the ECM yet, but i put a power tester to all of the injectors and it shows constant power to all of them when the key is turned on. Does this mean that the ECM is working?

GTP Dad
12-31-2005, 10:00 AM
No, the ECM keys each injector by sending a pulse to the injector so that it introduces fuel at the time it is needed. Constant power does not indicate that the ECM is working. You may want to change the cam position sensor if you haven't done so since it works with the ecm to tell the injectors when to put fuel into the engine.

Add your comment to this topic!