Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dome Light Always On

kreetz
12-26-2005, 09:31 PM
I have a 96 GMC Jimmy that has a 30 second delay for the dome lights. A few nights ago, the dome lights would not turn off. I have had to remove the fuse to keep them off. Any ideas? My bother in-law said that a relay located on the fuse block could be the problem.

Thank you for any help.

Kevin

rlith
12-27-2005, 05:05 AM
I have a 96 GMC Jimmy that has a 30 second delay for the dome lights. A few nights ago, the dome lights would not turn off. I have had to remove the fuse to keep them off. Any ideas? My bother in-law said that a relay located on the fuse block could be the problem.

Thank you for any help.

Kevin

I would actually look at the door switch (comes out of the dash just below the fuse box) pull the switch and the jumper the wires and see if it goes out.

herkyhawki
12-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Did you load or uload something from thr back door lately. My bet is you have left the dome light switch on. It is right above the back window, next to the back dome light. Most people don't know it's there till they accidently bump it and leave lights on like you now have.

kreetz
12-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Did you load or uload something from thr back door lately. My bet is you have left the dome light switch on. It is right above the back window, next to the back dome light. Most people don't know it's there till they accidently bump it and leave lights on like you now have.

No, I know about that switch, only works when you have the back door opened (cargo light). My wife only opened the driver's side door when she got in, and the light did not go off after the 20-second delay. Someone told me that the relay for the delay might be fried. Since the driver's side door was the only one that was opened, it has been suggested that I check the door switch. If that is not it, then I'll replace the relay. Unfortunately I can't purchase it at Shuck’s or NAPA, must be a factory thing. Most likely, I'll just go to my local junkyard, and salvage one from a Jimmy/Blazer there.

Thank you for the reply.

Kevin

kreetz
12-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know where the dome light delay relay is located at? I've checked all the switches for the doors, replaced the circuit breaker on the fuse block. My next step is to locate the dome light delay relay, and I will also check the dimmer switch, (seems to dim the dash lights ok), to see if it's been damaged, but I doubt that it's the dimmer switch.

drdd
12-27-2005, 11:43 PM
is your drivers side door sagging?

you may need to replace your door hinge pins. verry common on these trucks ...

do you hear the "door ajar" sound ?

look at those pins ... are they egg shaped? does your door connect and shut properly?

search for hinge pins on this forum ...

Thank you for any help.

Kevin

kreetz
12-28-2005, 12:43 AM
is your drivers side door sagging?

you may need to replace your door hinge pins. verry common on these trucks ...

do you hear the "door ajar" sound ?

look at those pins ... are they egg shaped? does your door connect and shut properly?

search for hinge pins on this forum ...

Yes, the door is harder to close, and does seem to be sagging. I can actually lift the door, and it closes easier, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the dome lights not turning off, because the switch is fully depressed. I will check for the hinge pin problem, because that is another problem that I am having. Thanks for the info.

kreetz
12-28-2005, 12:56 AM
I would actually look at the door switch (comes out of the dash just below the fuse box) pull the switch and the jumper the wires and see if it goes out.

Did as you suggested. I was able to make the "door open" sound, but the light did not ever go out. Does that mean that the wiring for that switch is bad, or something else? My wife was driving the car when the problem happened, and she said that she thought she smelt something burning. Is there a relay for the delay for the lights?

rlith
12-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Move your dimmer switch to the lowest position, and with your finger hold the door pin switch all the way in...(did you make sure the connector is still on the back of the switch?) and then turn the ignition to the run position without starting it. Did it go out? (you need to hold that switch flush)

Add your comment to this topic!