Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Synthetic Oil

nick bamberger
12-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Ok, I've heard alot of rumors about dino and synthetics, and now I need to choose one for my next oil change. '95 Acura Integra.. 175000 miles.
I've heard alot about the two, done research, but all I've seen is a bunch of opinions, no facts to back it up.

Mobile one seems to be great oil. Is it ok to start using synthetics at my mileage?
Also I read- Once you use synthetic, can't change back to dyno without damage?

Can I just drain dino and refill with synthetic, I know there will still be some left in the pan, but I wouldn't guess it would be enough to matter. Is it OK to mix a small amount?
Seems to me like synthetics would be OK, but alot of people post up on sites and dont know what their talking about, so I just wanted to see a few more thoughts.

Sorry about so many questions, but would appreciate a few answers,

Thanks in advance.

RSX-S777
12-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Synthetic oils naturally have fewer contaminants, flow better at start/lower temps and even have higher stability at very high temps. With your mileage, if you've been running conventional oil for the life of your car, it probably doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot- but it wouldn't necessarily hurt the car at all to switch oils. Personally, synthetic is all I'll use from the get go- but I know some older car guys (race/drag types) who prefer conventional oils. This is probably because they worry about the synthetics under high stress. With today's stuff, though, it's not really a problem at all- it's just a matter of gearheads who are reluctant to change, you know?

There are plenty of facts out there to back it up- Google it.

nick bamberger
12-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Ok, thanks RSX

cowood
12-26-2005, 09:46 PM
synthetic is great for new engines , my uncles ranger is proof it has over 200 k mi. and still runs like new . a couple years ago ihad a 75 f-150 460 big blocck which i rebuilt the engine my self as always it ran like a champ, the first 20 k . i let my goofy uncle talk me into mobile 1. the very next day i had an oil leak. i had to change all engine gaskets flush synthetic oil from block it was a nightmare.switched back to conv. oil and the truck still runs today. no leaks. i wouldn't sleep a wink if i didn't share this w/ you. maybe it's the modern engineering, i wish i knew the true answer. anyway thats my 2 cents.

RSX-S777
12-27-2005, 10:56 AM
^Some people feel that synthetic oils actually "clean" deposits that are blocking potential leak areas, thus causing leaks in old engines that have been running conventional.

Add your comment to this topic!