Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 JIMMY No oil and tapping!

steamer482
12-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Just wanted to see if this has every happened to your Jimmy or one your worked on?

I went to start up my Jimmy on Christmas eve. Keep in mind a week ago had an oil change. When the car started up it began to tap. I shut it off and got out. To my discovery I noticed A huge puddle of oil leaking from my oil filter access at the front. Today, I pulled the access panel down and checked the filter. The gasket had blown through the oil filter. Changed the oil filter and added new oil. Tired starting her up again. The car did the same thing, started tapping.

The oil gauge in the car said it was at 80 psi and added 4 and half quarts of oil (standard). Shut it off thinking the oil pump was not pumping. Let it sit and tried again. Same deal, the gasket blew on the filter and began leaking. Pulled the oil cooling lines off from the engine to the filter to check for a blockage, it was clear. Checked the oil for brass fragments thinking perhaps I spun a cam, the oil was clean. The pump is working, the oil sender is working, so where could the block or possible block be if this is what it is.

Really clueless here.

Any input would help?

maxwedge
12-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Look for the old gasket stuck to oil filter mounting flange.

steamer482
12-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Checked for an old gasket, nothing on the flange. There is a blockage somewhere, maybe in the filter flange? Oil is pumping but not getting into the motor which is causing the engine to tap. Pressure gauge is spiked to 80 PSI an then blows out the gasket on the oil filter to relieve pressure. I just don't know where to start and someone suggusted a spun head cam, please, help anyone!

GMMerlin
12-27-2005, 05:18 AM
Sounds like you have excessive oil pressure.
I would check it with a mechanical guage.
Most likely the pressure relief valve has stuck allowing the pump to build max pressure

steamer482
12-27-2005, 07:52 AM
So it is possible that I will not need to rip apart the entire lower cam to determine if I have a spun cam then. What other smaller things should we be looking for?

steamer482
12-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Is it unheard of for the fliter flange with the pressure relief to become blocked or clogged in this make of cars?

Add your comment to this topic!