Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Camry Won't start

ntimad8tor
12-26-2005, 02:24 PM
I have a 1992 Camry (4cyl 5sfe engine) that will not start most of the time. I have fire and fuel. The battery cranks the engine over strong. I have replaced the fuel filter and checked the fuel pressure, which is in the optimom range (40psi) according to a Chilton manual. What or where do I go next?

Brian R.
12-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Welcome to the AF!

I would start by checking the ignition coil. Also, listen to the injectors and see if they are clicking when you crank the engine.

ntimad8tor
12-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the AF!

I would start by checking the ignition coil. Also, listen to the injectors and see if they are clicking when you crank the engine.

Iginition coil tests fine and the injectors are working. In fact, when I went to crank it over this morning it fired right up. It seems to not start when it is colder outside. I left it in the garage last night and there was no problem starting this morning. It also seems that when it wont start there is less than half a tank of gas. When it started this morning I drove it into town and filled up. The gas gauge is correct, could there be something up with the fuel pump or fuel pickup??

Brian R.
12-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Replace the distributor cap and rotor as a start. Clean your EGR valve and IAC valve. Replace your coil - even though it tests good, it may leak current at high voltages. You can only test it at very low potentials.

I don't think it is a fuel problem.

DFBonnett
12-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Brian may well be right. He usually is. That being said, you may want to make sure you keep the tank more than half filled for a while. If the car doesn't act up, you may well have a fuel delivery problem and will want to get a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail to test it.
FWIW
YMMV

ntimad8tor
01-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks a million Brian. I replaced the ignition a couple of days ago and everything seems to be fine.

Brian R.
01-01-2006, 03:44 PM
You're welcome

Add your comment to this topic!