Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

69 lemans ac and heater

ezsk8er66
12-26-2005, 11:44 AM
i have a 69 lemans and i would like to remove the ac but would like to keep the heater. Would i need to buy a different peice to go where the big thing on the forewall goes or could i use the one thats there?

maxwedge
12-26-2005, 03:35 PM
What do you mean remove the ac? The heat will work if you are just eliminating the compressor or lines and hardware, if you are changing the entire vehicle over to a heater only system the evap case, interior heater case and ducting all have to be changed.

ezsk8er66
12-26-2005, 04:11 PM
how would i go about converting it?
what parts would i need and where could i find them?

maxwedge
12-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Why convert it, I stiill don't understand what you are trying to do, the heater will work fine even if the a/c is inop. You would need the heater case and all the peripheral components that were factory oe for a heater car only. tere is no simple answer here,you need to look at a heater only car of the same year.

MagicRat
12-27-2005, 10:35 AM
I agree. All the ductwork on the firewall can be left as-is, even if the AC compressor etc are removed from the engine.

ramairgto72
01-04-2006, 12:43 AM
It's ok I have your back.

Doing what you want to do is not that hard, I have seen it many times, and my best friend did his 71 monte and my other bud did his 72 cutless, if you goto one of my webpages you will see that what they did looks clean.

www.geocities.com/the400andoverclub

Doing it takes some work but it can be done, you have to remove all the under hood AC stuff (da) and then unbolt the AC cover, you will see that the heater core is also under this cover, so take your cover that bolts to the fire wall and cut it so that a small pocket can still be used for the heater core.

You will have to make a plastic/steel or Alum cover that will now go over what you cut off. If you di it right you will have a great place to mount stuff like filters and such.

it can be done easy with a dremel, L brackets and fiberglass to seal the new top cover to the old firewall a/c cover.

You will get the idea how to do it as you take it apart.

You can't use non AC cars to do what your thinking, as the firewall is just different.

The easy way is to take off the whole unit and well as your heater and add in a Mojave aux. heater $50 I think, and th only thing you will have to run to te firewall is a in and out for the heater hoses.

If you want some 1 on 1 with this I can give you my buddies Email.

Hope this helps.

P.S. A/C is for "stock" cars that have no real future for speed.

Add your comment to this topic!