Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check for this before replacing your Ford Aerostar Transmission!

Athanasius
12-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Our 1994 Ford Aerostar was having some transmission problems. Turned out to be caused by low transmission fluid, but here's the kicker: there were no visible leaks! So I added fluid, only to have the same problem recur over and over again. Where was the transmission fluid going?

My wife took it to a transmission shop, where the man told her, after seeing the bumper sticker on the back of her car, "Ma'am, the only reason your van is still running is because Jesus wants it to." He wanted to charge her $1500 for a new transmission.

I told her to hold off. I spoke with a Ford mechanic, who told me that there is a vacuum diaphram that can fail which is mounted on tthe transmission case. Sure enough, when I checked it, the vacuum hose was full of transmission fluid. The diaphram had ruptured, and fluid was being sucked through the vacuum hose up into the engine, where it was being burned with the fuel mixture! My transmission fluid was going out my exhaust!

I purchased the diaphram and was going to replace it myself, but it was hard to reach. So I took it to another transmission shop, told the mechanic what the problem was, gave him the part and bargained with him to install it. Cost me about $150 altogether.

Our transmission has worked wonderfully ever since. 193,000 miles and still going strong!

rv4fun
12-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for sharing!
I'll try to remember this information if I experience the same misfortune. I've got 190,000 miles on my '97 now and have no plans on replacing it any time soon.

truckdude239
01-04-2006, 11:16 AM
yes its called an moduator vavle on the side of the trans mine went bad in my 93 aerostar after ford flushed the system and they wouldn't cover it didn't find out untill after the tran was rebuilt but by that time the tran was shot wouldn't shift with fuild or anything had to have it towed to the shop turns out the bands had been burned from lack of fuild

pennypicher
01-13-2006, 09:58 PM
My 96. I rebuilt mine @200K and have 376K on it now. I guess they did a good rebuild. The front end is real loose but she still keeps up with the big boys.

Add your comment to this topic!