Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

radio distorts when defroster goes on

2000impalapa
12-24-2005, 07:50 AM
going down the road listening to the radioturn on my rear defroster all i get is distortion shut it off and the radio plays fine.....anybody out there with the same issue?

billyo69
12-24-2005, 08:23 AM
I got the same problem.I was told i need a new back window with the rear defrost.The wires in the defrost are broken.

bigrod118
12-24-2005, 08:27 AM
I dont have the same issue but its because on our back window has 2 "defronter lines" one is for the defroster and one is for the radio, its our antenna. so just look at your back wondow and perhaps one of the defroster lines broke just a little and is maknig contact with the radio lines, or you might find a problem with it of sorts.

billyo69
12-24-2005, 08:50 AM
Yes bigrod that is exactly what has happened to mine.I think I can install a regular radio antenna and that will fix the problem without having to change the back window.Or i could throw a rock through it and let ins take care of it.(but that would be dishonest)

bigrod118
12-24-2005, 09:01 AM
well you should actually be able to use the defroster line repair kit that you can find at autozone to repair the radio lines. im pretty sure it will work, its just current that they carry. so I would say just cut off the broken parts and use the repair kit.

I HAVE NOT DONE THIS, SO TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

billyo69
12-24-2005, 10:24 AM
I never knew there was such a thing.I will check it out.I just avoid using the rear defrost as the radio works fine until i turn 0n the rear defrost.

bigrod118
12-24-2005, 10:32 AM
yeah, I always see it at autozone, and others have mentioned about it before, I beleive its a paint on type application, in which you remove the damaged area of the defroster line, then take an applicator brush and "paint" on the window, connecting the two ends of the defroster line, either that or the kit ahs actually defroster lines in varying lengths and you apply it to the window and then paint on the adhesive to keep it on there.

but like I said, I have not done this before, I have just seen the kit at autozone and taken a very brief look at it.

but the lines for the radio and the lines for the defroter appear to be the same type, and their only purpose is to carry current to perform the intended task. its worth a shot at least, just ask someone at autozone about it and im sure they will be able to give you more information on it.... or you can just read the instructions on the back. im just not sure if they will work for the radio lines. but if the radio works fine, until the defroster is turned on, then the radio lines should be intact and its the defroster lines causing the interference.

bigrod118
12-24-2005, 10:37 AM
here, its not the autozone one, but it will give you an idea of what is needed to be performed.

http://www.frostfighter.com/ff_pdt_2100.htm

billyo69
12-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks ill give it a try and ill let you know how it works.

2000impalapa
12-25-2005, 10:47 PM
i appreciate all the help...i looked at the lines and all seem to be intacted.... another thing i noticed is that it only distorts while the car is on. :confused:

billyo69
12-26-2005, 06:43 PM
even if the wires look intac one is broken.

MCO_Death
12-26-2005, 10:56 PM
well you should actually be able to use the defroster line repair kit that you can find at autozone to repair the radio lines. im pretty sure it will work, its just current that they carry. so I would say just cut off the broken parts and use the repair kit.

I HAVE NOT DONE THIS, SO TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

I wonder if that could fix my non-working section...

Anyways... I've had this problem in every Impala i've ever driven. Only while the defroster is on. Usually not that big of a deal because I only have it on when car is warming up, and I usually listen to CDs...

BNaylor
12-27-2005, 11:27 AM
i appreciate all the help...i looked at the lines and all seem to be intacted.... another thing i noticed is that it only distorts while the car is on. :confused:

Another possibility is the RF filter module (black box) normally located under the passenger side rear C pillar. It isolates the radio signal input coming from the window grid and vice versa to the defogger grid when the defogger relay is energized. Inspection is normally required. Sometimes repairing the radio coax cable from the radio to the module fixes it and other times you may see damage like arcing or a funny smell which will require replacement of the RF filter.

boyinshirt
12-31-2005, 02:22 AM
there's a TSB out on this, and the problem is a broken line in your rear defroster. It's not on ImpalaHQ. I'm pretty sure I saw it on my state's library website. They have repair guides, TSBs, repair estimates, etc for free. (it's through Ebsco host if any of you have access to it)

edit: i just hosted it here (http://www.astromonkey.net/~arazorskiss/RadioDefoggerTSB.pdf)

Add your comment to this topic!