Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GS-R confusion

B16Z6+S20
12-22-2005, 10:07 PM
1) ok guys heres the thing, i have a 99 GSR, OBD II of course, and so far i've been told that these ecu tend to memorize any moods that u make to adjust to its original setings, or somthing like that resulting in lost of power or something, etc. so i want to know if will it be better to convert to OBD I and wich ecu is better for this engine with the basics I/H/E.

2) other thing is the stock intake manifold, i know it has 2 butterfly that opens depending on throtle possition, so can i leave the second one open all the time for more HP? and how? will this afect fuel mileage? or is it better to switch to an older version manifold with one butterfly?

3) can i adjust a variable cam gears to gain power without sacrifiying gas?? and how can i benefit from an external MS2 blaster coil?

thats it for now, thanx for reading and hope some one can help.

superbluecivicsi
12-23-2005, 12:34 AM
1. people switch from obd2 to obd1, because, obd1 ecus can be chipped. if you dont need to run different ignition and fuel maps, then, it is not necessary to go obd1.

2. leaving the secondaries open? if the secondaryies are left open, i bet you will lose some power and torque in the low and mid ranges. ive seen actual graphs of leaving the secondaries open somewhere. if i find it, ill post it up for you.

3. making power overall and saving gas. well, i guess that depends on your definition of saving gas? benefit from the MS2? well, why do you need the MS2?

superbluecivicsi
12-23-2005, 12:36 AM
its your lucky day. i got a link.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=582041

knorwj
12-23-2005, 12:46 AM
well I can only help you with #2,

The GS-R (94+ of course) was built as you descibe for daily drivability. It has longer intake runners (for low-mid range driving but slightly inhibates high rpm power). It was the only integra to have such an intake manifold. The older gs-r (like mine) and the TypeR all have the B16 "style" intake manifold which is a shorter intake runner design made for high rpm air flow but less midrange.

so switching from the gs-r IM to a B16 IM will I assume make you a lower compression lower redline type r motor... haha jk, I dunno I guess it will just shift the power curve a bit. It'll probly just take 2-3 Hp away from the midrange and tack it on up top.

integrawhat
12-23-2005, 02:35 AM
i would think it would take away low to mid range but i wouldnt think it would add anything to the top since the secondary is open at the top end anyway right? isnt it kinda like vtec in theory that if you stayed on the high cam lobes you'll have the same top end but lose your low to mid?

B16Z6+S20
12-23-2005, 06:47 AM
thanx guys this really saved me some cash!!

knorwj
12-23-2005, 07:47 AM
i would think it would take away low to mid range but i wouldnt think it would add anything to the top since the secondary is open at the top end anyway right? isnt it kinda like vtec in theory that if you stayed on the high cam lobes you'll have the same top end but lose your low to mid?

no because the gs-r has dual butterflys but it also has longer runners, the b16 has shorter free-er flowing runners. Think of it as the difference between a SRI and a CAI... the CAI is better for mid to low and the SRI is better for top end... neither really makes more or less power but they make the power in different spots in the rpm range.

integrawhat
12-23-2005, 02:59 PM
no my bad, i wasnt talking about switching im's i meant fixing the secondary butterflies to stay open

Schister66
12-23-2005, 10:56 PM
you can adjust that if you get a tuning software like Crome...which means you would have to switch to OBD1 rather than OBD2....that's about $250 to switch and then tuning it costs more on top of that unless you get a datalog cable and a laptop to upload a .bin file onto the chipped ECU......

Add your comment to this topic!