Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 Legend LS...Clutch Out!! Do I Need Special Tool?

R.W.
12-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Clutch burnt up on 5-speed legend. Was told it takes special tool to pull axles on pulling or replacing (Axles) They tried selling me a complete clutch kit at auto-parts store! Is it possible clutch itself is all thats probably bad,........ pressure plate, etc still ok.... I'm from "old school 55-57 chevies and we'd just drop in new clutch(15.00) and GO!...Do realize I should change throwout bearing...but hate to pay $250 for complete kit!!! Any ideas!!???

jmkelly45
12-29-2005, 05:17 AM
Clutch burnt up on 5-speed legend. Was told it takes special tool to pull axles on pulling or replacing (Axles) They tried selling me a complete clutch kit at auto-parts store! Is it possible clutch itself is all thats probably bad,........ pressure plate, etc still ok.... I'm from "old school 55-57 chevies and we'd just drop in new clutch(15.00) and GO!...Do realize I should change throwout bearing...but hate to pay $250 for complete kit!!! Any ideas!!???

It's worth the money. You don't want to have to pull that thing apart again when the bearing or pressure plate goes out. Go with an Exedy clutch kit. They're reasonably priced and after putting 3 clutches in my '88 it's been the best. All you need to pull it is forks to pop the ball joints and tie rod end which you can rent at autozone. Just be sure to torque everything to spec. (They rent the torque wrench too). Let me know if you need the specs.

Add your comment to this topic!