Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 gt starting probs

l<ermit
12-22-2005, 01:12 PM
hello,
when i go to start my car sometimes it starts right up on the second or third crank, other times it will crank 10 times and i'll have to let off the key and try again before before it will start. Doesn't matter matter if the car is warmed up or cold, seems totally random....It also idles a little rough @ 650rpms.. is that the proper idle speed?

When i started her up the other day i heard a low pitched grinding noise coming from the trunk area for a few seconds... fuel pump mabey?

GTP Dad
12-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Welcome to AF! It sounds like you may have a fuel pump going bad. The pump will make noise but it should only be audible at start-up. I would get a fuel pressure guage and check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. This will tell you if the pressure regulator is working properly. You should have at least 43 psi at idle. Anything less than that may indicate a bad regulator. That can cause starting issues. If the regulator is replaced and the pressure is still low then the fuel pump is probably going bad.

You may also want to clean the idle air control motor located on the side of the throttle body. Remove two bolts and remove the IAC. Spray it with throttle body cleaner and replace. If it is extremely dirty you will want to clean the hole leading into the throttle body as well. This should cure the idle problem. Good Luck!

Add your comment to this topic!