how do i amp 4 speakers and sub? do i need an amp for each?

gforce811
12-22-2005, 02:48 AM
i'm on a tight budget and i will need an amp for my speakers and sub. i know of 4 channel amps handling speakers and mono amps handling subs, but would i need both? or is there one amp that can handle speakers and a sub altogether?

thank you much for your time.

threedd97
12-22-2005, 03:16 AM
You'll need something like a 2 channel or 4 channel amp for the door speakers and an amp for the subwoofer (this would be the better way to do it). I've had friends run Kove 12"s, 4 doors and 2 tweeters off a 5 channel amp before. I doubt it got the sub to it's RMS rating, but it sounded pretty good and got the job done, I just wouldn't recommend it like that.

gforce811
12-22-2005, 11:55 AM
so, just double checking, but if i wanted to save money right now I could get a 5 channel and amp everything, then when i get more money I can get a separate amp for the sub and do it that way?

thanks again.

Drewet88
01-23-2006, 11:58 PM
before you get off the subject of amping 4 speakers can anyone tell me how to do it.
I want to amp my tweeters and 6X9's and my sub, (different amps for the subs and speakers)
I don't understand how you do it because the speakers have to be hooked up to the head unit (right??) so what wires hook up to the amp?

Benjamin2005
01-24-2006, 03:15 PM
you will have to buy an amp wiring kit, autoleads do a good set. You will get...

* A thin (usually blue) lead (REMOTE)
* A thick (usually red) lead (POWER)
* A double-leaded lead (usually blue) (RCA/PHONO)
* Speaker wire (usually gold - can depend on set)
* A black wire (EARTH)

When you buy the amp it should come with instructions for wiring. The power lead connects from the amp (positive terminal) to your battery - (you will have to route the leads under your carpet.) The earth goes from your amp to a suitable earth (i.e. any bare metal on the chassis - remember your earth has got to be as good as your positive!) The remote wire will run from your amp (should be labelled remote on amp connection) to the remote on the back of your headunit - this is almost certainly a blue wire and shouldnt be connected to anything else (the remote tells the amp when to switch off.) The speaker wires go from your speakers / sub to your amp. The phono/RCA leads will plug into your amp and need to be plugged into the pre-outs at the back of the head unit.

HOWEVER it is very important not to run the RCA and remote leads alongside the power through your car. you must run the RCA leads and remote down one side and the power down the other as the power lead is carrying current and the RCA and remote leads carry signals and which will be affected if the power lead is directly next to them - giving you distortion.

Good luck!!

posted - by charlotte!!

Jet-Lee
01-24-2006, 05:10 PM
I could tell ya how to use one 4 channel amp and power your subs and all 4 regular speakers with surprising clarity. However, your passengers won't like it, but who cares about them?

EDIT: Your remote wire carries power just like your power wire. It is just not as heavy duty, as it doesn't carry the source but merely flips a switch, so to say.

Drewet88
01-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Why wouldn't the passengers like it?
Doesn't really matter, as long as I like it.

Jet-Lee
01-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Why wouldn't the passengers like it?
Doesn't really matter, as long as I like it.
It focuses all the speakers on the driver. To you, it sounds like the music is inside your head. To everyone else, it's one sided.

Drewet88
01-25-2006, 10:49 PM
who cars. they'll get use 2 it. and if they're nice i'll let them sit in the driver seat and listen.
what/how do i get started.

wojtas
01-26-2006, 11:43 AM
You are best off using two amps, one for the speakers and one for the sub(s). You can do this for under 100 dollars if you are smart about what you buy. Use a distribution block to split the power wire coming off the battery, run a remote wire to the first amp then off that same terminal on the first amp, bridge another wire to the next amp. Ground each amp seperately, and run a splitter across both leads on the rca cable. This will give the power of each amp to each speaker. The most expensive part will be the amp.

Drewet88
01-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Alright sounds good. I still don't understand how I hook up my voice speakers to the amp. O and can I use the amp to hook up some cooling fans or will I need another form of power?

wojtas
01-27-2006, 11:27 AM
You cant use any anp, u need to use an amp with "speaker level inputs." That is y it will b so expensive. When you get it, u can just run speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. What do u need cooling fans 4?

Jet-Lee
01-27-2006, 11:33 AM
You cant use any anp, u need to use an amp with "speaker level inputs." That is y it will b so expensive. When you get it, u can just run speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. What do u need cooling fans 4?
Or he could just use a line output converter, gives much better quality, as the high inputs SUCK.

You shouldn't need cooling fans, unless your pushing a lot of power close to the amps limit.

If you're really interested in what I said, it costs $10. I don't charge $10, that's how much the schematic costs from the company, but well worth it.

Lemme know, dude.

wojtas
01-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Good call, u typically cant find an amp with speaker level inputs with a high output anyways.

Drewet88
01-27-2006, 04:36 PM
O. I guess I wont need cooling fans then.
My friend told me if I don't have cooling fans everything will overheat and fry.
My friend was trying to get me to basically hook mine up how he got his done (@ pacific stereo) with a false bottom where everything is hidden and the speakers blended into the back of his trunk and Pacific Stereo told him he would need cooling fans or everything would fry.

I think I'm going to use two seperate amps (mostly for looks)

So for the speakers I hook them up like normal (to the head unit) and then run another wire from the speakes to the amp?

wojtas
01-28-2006, 04:22 PM
That depends on if u r running 4 speakers and your head unit can run 6, what type of amp u r using, and if u plan on using a line output converter or amps with speaker level imputs. If u r going to conceal the amps under something or in something, then u will need to use cooling fans, but i dont reccomends it sense the air that the fans could b pulling might b just as hot as the air that u r pushing away, and your amp will overheat anyways.

Drewet88
01-28-2006, 08:37 PM
I haven't picked a new head unit yet. Actually I was looking for something with GPS and that could play DVD's. (open to any suggestions)

Since I don't know what the difference is between a line output converter and amps with speaker level inputs I'll need you to explain that to me before I can answer that question.

I know I'm going to upgrade my amp also, I was thinking of going with kicker everything for this setup. But I'm still open to suggestions (I just really want everything to be the same brand).

I was going to try and conceal everything under a false bottom and the fan I was looking at says it could cool down the air by 10% because of the "cooling chip" so I was thinking about maybe 2 or 3. But if there is still the possibility of my equipment blowing I'm going to throw out that idea.

wojtas
01-30-2006, 11:21 AM
If u want an easy idea, go with an amp with speaker level imputs. The idea is basically, instead of using RCA inputs to the amp to provide the audio signal, the inputs r screws or clips that wire from the head unit goes into. This is since u dont have RCA outputs on the stereo, so instead of hooking up your deck speakers to teh stereo, u hook them into the amp. The cooling fans might work depending on how u vent the false bottom. U cant really go wrong with Kicker, however the price is high. They also dont make HUs that I know of, let alone 1 that plays DVDs.

Drewet88
01-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Yea. They don't make head units that I know of so I was looking at this Pioneer one that has GPS and DVD capabilities. (I was told that you should buy the one you want the first time)

Jet-Lee
01-31-2006, 02:44 PM
DON'T USE HIGH INPUT(SPEAKER LEVEL INPUTS)!! They sound like ass. Go to Wal-Mart and get their Scosche 4 channel line output converter and mount it as close to the head unit as possible. The closer the better.

I can't believe there are people here saying to use line level inputs!

wojtas
02-02-2006, 11:26 AM
You can get clean, well-defined music from an amp with speaker level imputs if u adjust it properly. All a line output converter does is convert a high level output from a stereo signal, to a lower output so that u can hook up any amp to it, using a transformer and high-voltage resistor. It is alot easier to get an amp with speaker level inputs so that u dont need to weaken the outgoing signal and cut off sound curves using a resistor. What is the point in decreasing the strength of a signal to just strenghten it by running it through an amp? Line output converters are supposed to be used if u want a particular amp that only has RCA inputs. Go ask the guys at IASCA what they use when they want to create a factory look in the front, but subs in the back.

Jet-Lee
02-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Factory look in the front? I don't know about you, but my line output converter is hidden from view, to keep that factory look.

A high output signal is waay more likely to have interference from the rest of the engines electrical systems.

What do you think the high-inputs do to the signal on the amp? They crunch the signal down and run it through the same components as the low input signal.

Using a converter, you bring the high output down to a low output, send it to the amp with less interference and get a cleaner sound out of the speakers. It's not rocket science.

ImportBuilder
02-02-2006, 06:27 PM
http://fatalsix.glwb.info/system.jpg
That's how it would be hooked up.
you run power from battery to distribution block, then to each amp
run remote from head unit to closest amp, then fromt here to 2nd amp
run speaker wire from subwoofer amp to subwoofer
run speaker wire from speaker amp to speakers
RCA from head unit to each amp
GROUND each amp seperately, but ground them to the same spot.

Jet-Lee
02-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh man, I LOVE the drawing, that's awesome!

ImportBuilder
02-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Photoshop + 5 minutes = BEST ART EVER.

PaulD
02-03-2006, 12:24 AM
HOWEVER it is very important not to run the RCA and remote leads alongside the power through your car. you must run the RCA leads and remote down one side and the power down the other as the power lead is carrying current and the RCA and remote leads carry signals and which will be affected if the power lead is directly next to them - giving you distortion.

some old wives tales just NEVER die

wojtas
02-03-2006, 11:35 AM
U Will Get Interference Either Way! Oh, and the factory look, that is what the people at IASCA use, not me. I prefer the alternative of getting a HU with RCA outputs, like Drewet88 said he was going to do. That is not rocket science either, that is being able to read at a 5th grade reading level, and taking the time to read the forums. Im done arguing over this. I have seen many car audio comps that do exactly what i am saying to do, but he and u can do whatever u want.

Jet-Lee
02-03-2006, 02:12 PM
U Will Get Interference Either Way! Oh, and the factory look, that is what the people at IASCA use, not me. I prefer the alternative of getting a HU with RCA outputs, like Drewet88 said he was going to do. That is not rocket science either, that is being able to read at a 5th grade reading level, and taking the time to read the forums. Im done arguing over this. I have seen many car audio comps that do exactly what i am saying to do, but he and u can do whatever u want.
You won't get near as much interference with low signal RCA's. I said that already. Factory look...I just told you, you can stick the converter behind you HU or some panel, and it looks factory, duh. Who doesn't prefer getting a better HU with RCA outs? Some just don't have the money.
I want you to show me ONE serious SQ competitor who uses speaker level outputs going into the high input signal input on their amp, no RCA's, no line output converter, just straight from the rear-deck signal into the amp.

EDIT: Upon further investigation, I cannot locate the post where Drewet88 states he will be getting a HU with RCA outs.

PaulD
02-03-2006, 07:03 PM
low level, hi impedance signal lines will pick up more noise than a high (speaker) level with lo impedance.

Jet-Lee
02-06-2006, 10:39 AM
low level, hi impedance signal lines will pick up more noise than a high (speaker) level with lo impedance.
Reasoning?

PaulD
02-06-2006, 10:23 PM
It's easier for noise to come in on an RCA with like 500-1000 mV than it is a speaker lever of several volts. Also, speaker level is typically 4 ohms - RCA impedance is typically 1000 ohms ...... higher impedance lines tend to have more noise induced.

Add your comment to this topic!