Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Easy maintenance

rbsteve
12-22-2005, 01:09 AM
Hi,

Ive been on these forums for a while now, trying to figure out all the problems with my grand prix. One of which is a leaking oil pan gasket. Its a minor problem, but to fix it you actually have to chain up the engine and lift it about 6 inches.

I also discovered that one my brother's old maxima, to change out a water pump is a major task. Involves a special tool, and taking off half of the engine.

All this brings me to my question. Is their one make of car which is easy to maintain ? A car that doesnt have seemingly major design flaws that would impede maintenance such as these two exmaples given. A car where the oil pan, tranny pan, pumps, steering components, etc are all readily accessible. Does this car exist ??

Thanks for any input and trying to satisfy my curiosity.

-Steve

drdisque
12-24-2005, 10:52 PM
some Old 4 cylinders (80's VW's and 1.8L Mitsubishis come to mind) and old pushrod V8's in big cars. Pickups in general aren't bad either because their engine bays are so big, unless you get a new one with a DOHC V8.

clawhammer
12-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Civic. Things seem fairly accessible, and their engine bays are fairly large.

MagicRat
12-24-2005, 11:41 PM
some Old 4 cylinders (80's VW's and 1.8L Mitsubishis come to mind) and old pushrod V8's in big cars. Pickups in general aren't bad either because their engine bays are so big, unless you get a new one with a DOHC V8.
Good choices.
Also the 4 cyl Ford Mustangs from the 80's and 90's. Amazingly, these things got even simpler when they went to EFI.
The engines and electronics are extremely straightforward, the engine bay is large for easy access, and the engine design, even though its an OHC is very simple.

Chad82
12-24-2005, 11:53 PM
I had a buddy that had a 79 VW diesel rabbit and that was about the easiest vehicle I have ever worked on. Everything was easy to get to.

Add your comment to this topic!