Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Grand Am stalls out when put in park

robbins25
12-21-2005, 05:37 PM
I just bought a 1997 Grand Am GT. It's got a 3.1 V6 and has about 93,000 miles on it. It seemed to run okay, but later it stalled out as soon as I shifted it to PARK. I took it to the shop, and the guy told me I needed an EGR valve, and then he said I also needed an idle control valve. I spent $350 for that, and when I got to work it did the same thing.
The mechanic said that the computer in the car might need to get used to the new idle control valve, and he said he'd look at it again if it repeated to stall. Any ideas what may be causing this? I've only had the car a few days and don't know a lot about it, but I don't want to buy any parts that may be unnecessary.

Gooman18
12-21-2005, 07:02 PM
I just bought a 1997 Grand Am GT. It's got a 3.1 V6 and has about 93,000 miles on it. It seemed to run okay, but later it stalled out as soon as I shifted it to PARK. I took it to the shop, and the guy told me I needed an EGR valve, and then he said I also needed an idle control valve. I spent $350 for that, and when I got to work it did the same thing.
The mechanic said that the computer in the car might need to get used to the new idle control valve, and he said he'd look at it again if it repeated to stall. Any ideas what may be causing this? I've only had the car a few days and don't know a lot about it, but I don't want to buy any parts that may be unnecessary.

How does it idle? Like when its in Neutral? My first car (89 Chevy Celebrity) would die when i put it in park and it turned out that the idle was way too low so the engine would struggle to stay running in drive and then it would die. Just my :2cents:
Good Luck. Later.

Bobby

robbins25
12-22-2005, 09:44 AM
How does it idle? Like when its in Neutral? My first car (89 Chevy Celebrity) would die when i put it in park and it turned out that the idle was way too low so the engine would struggle to stay running in drive and then it would die. Just my :2cents:
Good Luck. Later.

Bobby

It idles fine in Neutral, right around 1,000rpm. But after it's put in park it will fluctuate and sometimes move up and down 2 times or so before it finally stalls out.

Add your comment to this topic!