Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Remote car starter ...recommendations

stanc30
12-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Looking for your advice on a reliable remote starter. This will be my first one. Looking for my daughters 98 Jimmy. Under $100...???

herkyhawki
12-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Looking for your advice on a reliable remote starter. This will be my first one. Looking for my daughters 98 Jimmy. Under $100...???

DEI (Directed Electronics Inc) is a good one. I've had them on several vehicles over past 10 years. My 95 Jimmy had a no-name cheap system on it when I bought it and it is junk. It starts randomly from interference signals. There is one part of town where I can't park because it always starts in that area.
Buy it from a shop that does installs, even if you plan to do it yourself. A good shop won't have the cheapest, but it won't be __Mart junk.

ChrisGood
12-22-2005, 03:59 PM
I dont know about where you live but around here most of the car electronics (audio, who are we kidding) shops have specails for 99.00 with free installation (good way to clean out last years inventory)

MT-2500
12-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Welcome to AF on your first post.
Personaly I hate the things. Most of them should be dumped in the trash can.
But if your heart is set on one a 100$ will not get you much but headaces.
Dig deeper in the pocket book.
Remember it is for your daughter so get the best.
Get a good quality one that is made and desizned for your vechicle.
The ones that just plug in are the best.
Installation is one of the main things on them.
A lot of people cobble them up splicing wires every which way.
Looks like a rats nest when put on.
If anything has to be spliced in solder the wiring.
Have you checked to see if you can get a OEM factory unit?
MT :lol2: :lol: :grinno:

goser
12-23-2005, 12:03 AM
I've been doing a lot of searching around for a good one, and Directed Electronics seems to be everyone's favorite. You can get the (almost) top of the line off eBay for about $200, (+$50 for the seccurity bypass) and with the right documentation and a basic knowledge of electricity it should go in pretty easy. I'll be putting the Viper 791xv into my 98 pretty soon...I'll let you know how it goes...

MT-2500
12-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Glad to see you are going for a good one.
But One other word of caution is not to park it in a garage attatched to or under your house.
There have been instances of lighting or electrical interferance starting the car or in rare cases they can short out and cause the car to catch on fire.
So be careful out there.
Here is a link to a true story about one.

Bill on: 12/23/2005 14:07:40 ESTSubject: RE: adding remote start to sentry key system

Message Detail:
just some info...my son had one on his car and one morning about 3am I woke up to the sound of a car running....THANK GOD we have a 2 car detached garage....I would hate to think what could happen in a attached garage.....true story and still here to talk about it

http://www.batauto.com/cgi-bin/Forum/db_TalkToMeV2.cgi?forum_name=domestics&message_number=26739&pid=

MT :grinno: :lol: :lol2:

rlith
12-23-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm running a prestiege myself http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=12330&langId=-1

Pretty good unit for the money and lots of add-on's available. Never had a problem with it. DEI, Viper (same co?) Prestiege, and bull dog are usually good units...

kreetz
12-27-2005, 02:22 PM

I don't remember how much it was, but Guard Dog makes a pretty good one. I installed it on my 96 Jimmy. Works like a charm. Has buttons for door locks, start, and a button for the rear hatch. I was somthing like $50-$60. JC Whitney also sells a few models, although I don't know what make they are. You'll want to go with a brand name.

Good luck.

Kevin

Add your comment to this topic!