Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Integra LS tranny with B16A2?

mrnabeehhasan
06-06-2002, 11:18 PM
I have tried going with the proper hydro trannies, but have been swindled rather harshly. In efforts to get my swap moving along I'm considering using an Integra LS hydro tranny with my B16A2 under construction. Those trannies are fairly abundant and cheap. I've heard that this isn't a good idea unless I'm going with forced induction with the B16, because the engine will fall out of vtec after upshifting with the gears being too long.

Any thoughts or advice in a course of action?

RedRocketGSR
06-07-2002, 03:46 PM
To tell you the truth that probably is true since the LS's gears are alot longer. Forced Induction would be the way to go with that tranny. If you want a good close ratio, go with the GSR even though it could cost like $700, it is the best tranny honda has ever made.:D

SpecialK
06-08-2002, 02:08 AM
sorry to get a little off topic here but, what if i had an LS engine that im gonna turbo i know the LS tranny is pretty good because it lets the turbo work for longer, due to the long gears, but i cant find any. They are impossible to find here with reasonable miles or for a reasonable price. So i was thinkin the Si tranny would work and would maybe be easier to find. So my question is would a Si tranny with integra linkage work in my 95 4 dr. integra?

EightOhOne
06-08-2002, 04:10 PM
the si tranny will bolt right up, but im not sure if the linkage would work...it should.

jeffie7
06-10-2002, 12:22 AM
LS Tranny is the way to go the JDM B16 tranny has really really short gearing your mpg will be really bad if you go with that

also unless your running a stock P28 ECU "civic EX 5200Vtec and 7200-7600 rev limit depending on auto or 5 speed trans"
you will not have problems with droping out of vtec

GSR is a good ECU to use or a chiped out P28 "what I have"
then you can fully tune it to do what ever you want

with the LS trans I can drop my car from 5th to 2nd gear while going 60mph and take off like a bat outta hell =)

mrnabeehhasan
06-10-2002, 06:50 AM
I completely overlooked that aspect. I have a chipped ecu with the Spoon program on it. It is programmed for a vtec crossover at 4400rpm. The cutoff point is 9100rpm. So would an LS tranny be usable then?

jeffie7
06-10-2002, 05:01 PM
the only problems you will have is griding gears after shifting at 8200-8400RPMs for a month or two honda trans tend to do that my 3nd gear is almost toast

im looking for a back up trans right now =)

I would never go with a stock B16a trans becuase the gearing really sucks well great for N/A racing but thats it

if you ever spray/turbo/supercharge you will be much better off with LS trans

does your ECU have a built in shiftlight? my hondata is fully programable and will let me set shift points and revlimits
most every tack is off my tack is off about 500RPM I learned that after running a GSR racing chip in my hondata I was shifting around 8700RPMs thinking it was 8200RPMs

if you have a JDM B16A the stock rev limit is 8440 you might want to try and set a revlimit for it since its VERY easy to over rev B16s =) hehehhe "not that I would know"

I did look into getting your ECU but if I remember you have almost no options with it

I like the hondata becuase its fully programable I can change things while sitting in the driver seat using a button I mounted on the dash

and also up grade it later I have my boost option coming right now for my turbo can't wait should be fun =)

mrnabeehhasan
06-10-2002, 05:44 PM
How much did your hondata ECU setup cost? I was just basically looking for a quick fix to get the whole thing up and running. I don't recall the ECU having a built in shiftlight, but I figured a good aftermarket Tach with shiftlight would be sufficient. I wouldn't have to worry about shifting at 8000rpm. I'm pretty soft on my cars.

But I would like to know how hard are you on your transmission jeffie7? Also do you have any forced induction?

jeffie7
06-10-2002, 09:54 PM
my setup cost $350 then another $300 for the boost option something you wont need

if you look around you will find places that sell them for $249 maybe even cheaper but I've found most of them you have to send the ECU to them and wait for it I NEEDED a ECU so....

as far as tranny goes Im not all that hard on it I don't like to speedshift what happens is your trans is spining at 8300-8400RPMS then you go to shift your syncros can't keep up and GRIND Fred Ellis did my engine swap he has that all motor CRX running last I heard 11.30s 11.60s in the mags was the last I saw in sportscarcompact but hes getting faster anywho hes running a type R trans and he told him his started doing it after a few runs at the track its norm for honda trans to do it but afterwhile the syncros fully go and it will just pop out of gear

if you take a sec or more to shift from gear to gear you will be ok but if your like me and shift really fast you will eat them up fast

I've slowed down since I've had the engine just to make things easier on the trans

my old engine/trans I never had any problems with and I did anything and everything since I knew it was coming out from shifting with no clutch and so on.... never had any problems its just 8000+ RPM shifts

Setanta
06-11-2002, 03:03 AM
If your LS is the same as our 'teg VTiR then it's a pretty good choice. I did some research, and the VTiR tranny has almost exactly the same ratios as the Civic SiR's - other than first and the final drive ratio.

It should work nicely :)

madtownhonda
06-11-2002, 11:14 AM
The best tranny is the ITR tranny then the Si tranny. I would not even consider an LS tranny on a b16a2. The GSR trans would be OK, but still has longer gearing than the Si tranny.

jeffie7
06-11-2002, 11:23 PM
if you are going to supercharge or turbo you car the LS trans is the only way to go atlest I've yet to run into ONE person that has a turbo setup that has said anything other wise
now if your running N/A then yes the SI or ITR trans is by far the best other then a really crappy 5th

all I can say is doing 65+ in 2nd gear is badass =) I've droped alot of mouths by doing that hehehehe

Add your comment to this topic!