Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Crown Vic Tranny Trouble

bluebuick91
12-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Hey All,
I have a 97 crown vic, that drives like a dream, but I have noticed for some time now that when I am getting on the freeway, or accelerating to get up to speed on the service roads that right around 40-45mph the motor revs up like it isn't in gear, then it shifts into the next gear...Sometimes you can let up on the gas a little and it makes the shift easier. What is causing this, and is there an easy way to diagnose it and fix it? Thanks for any help!

ModMech
12-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Is the trans full of good clean Mercon V ATF? Check the level first.

bluebuick91
12-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey ModMech,

The filter and fluid was changed about 5000 miles ago, and the fluid used was dexron/mercon III...the problem existed prior to changing the filter/fluid, which is why we changed it to begin with...there are 102,000 miles on the car. We are wondering if maybe there isn't an electronic solenoid going out...Thanks for the replies!!

way2old
12-20-2005, 05:49 PM
If it is a CVPI, more than likely the direct drive clutch pack is badly worn or has a broken snap ring.

ModMech
12-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Um yea, if the ATF is full and you had it changed to hopefully resolve this, it is transmission time.

One thing though, DO NOT take it to the shop that performed your trans service. If they DO NOT know the correct (Mercon V) ATF to put into it, I doubt they would be qualified to rebuild/repair it either.

Personally, I would just get a good low-mileage unit out of a wreck. Any '98 up RWD 4R70W will work.

Add your comment to this topic!