Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

00 A4 just shut off while driving...WTF

blacknight
12-19-2005, 11:17 AM
My girlfriend was driving the car (00 A4 1.8T Quattro) and all of a sudden the oil light comes on and beeps 3 times then all of a sudden the car completely dies. I mean the car just shut off. She pulled over to the side and tried to start the car but nothing. The battery is strong, lights, horn and radio works but the car doesn't start. It'll turn over like it wants to start, but doesn't run. It's like trying to start a car with no gas in it.
Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

TudorDrancea
12-19-2005, 10:07 PM
[its your maf(mass air flow sensor) in a while youwill notice that when you throttle hard and let the clutch off ur revs will dip below 800 and your idle will not be constans with ocassionnal dips or spikes. trust me it has happenned to me as well. What you have done to it might as well affect it if it was not done right but maf problems are common on a4's and other 18t's for that matter

TudorDrancea
12-19-2005, 10:09 PM
oh my bad that actually might be something else the stalling part could be the maf as that swhat happenned to me but the fact that it did not restart might have to do with the ecu is it chipped by any chance?

blacknight
12-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Completely stock
No modifications
Also, it's an automatic :uhoh:

91civichatch2571
12-20-2005, 07:40 PM
i wonder if you maybe lost oil pressure. There were no warning signs of any kind before it happened? no ticking, knocking, loss of power...? Check engine light on?

blacknight
12-21-2005, 07:56 AM
i wonder if you maybe lost oil pressure. There were no warning signs of any kind before it happened? no ticking, knocking, loss of power...? Check engine light on?

It's funny cause in the owners manual it says if the oil light comes on and beeps three times (which it did) it means that the oil pressure in the engine is not proper or something.

But there was no warning sign or anything. No ticking or anything

91civichatch2571
12-24-2005, 01:34 AM
Its possible that the sensor failed, making the pcm believe there is insufficient pressure. By the way, does anyone know of an online manual for the B5?

veedubmechanic
12-24-2005, 10:42 AM
you probably have bad oil pump there pretty common. it the car shut its self off and wont restart, you might actually have dont engine damage (ex engine locked up due to low oil pressure).

91civichatch2571
12-24-2005, 11:49 AM
you might actually have dont engine damage (ex engine locked up due to low oil pressure).

It'll turn over like it wants to start, but doesn't run.
dont scare the man

Add your comment to this topic!