Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help..

JLad10687
12-19-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm 18, I really enjoy driving, and I feel I am good at it. I want to get into racing but not that street drag racing civics, like real, legit road racing. I have a car but it is not a race car by any means. How would I go about getting into different types of racing. I dont care what it is as long as its competitive racing. Everyone just says build a car and race it and get sponsored. I dont know about you but I dont have $100,000 to build a race car. Any suggestions on how to get into racing(Auto X, rally, real drag, anything). I guess if anything, it'd be easiest to start to build an auto cross car but it would also have to be my daily driver as well due to limited funds and thats where my dilemma is. I mean I could invest money and build up a car but my money isnt unlimited. Should I just buy a cheap car and build it up and then as time goes on, try to get sponsored and then get more serious or is there another way to go to a racing school and get sponsors or any ideas on how to go about getting into racing/getting sponsored?

-Jayson-
12-19-2005, 11:14 AM
well you can do AutoX, im pretty sure there is a stock class. Do some googleing of Autoxing in your area.

Also racing isnt cheap, dont plan to make money off of racing, if your gonna race, do it cause you enjoy it. Also remember, if you break your daily driver racing, you have nothing to get to and from work/school. It prolly wouldnt be a good idea to get to far into racing unless you have another car you can drive for when you break something on yours.

JekylandHyde
12-20-2005, 08:00 AM
scca.org and find the region in your area.

Autocross is the simplest, safest, cheapest and most logical place to start and using your dialy driver is more than welcome.

JLad10687
12-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Yea but I also dont wanna race by myself forever. I mean I want to at first to get used to it but not always.

JekylandHyde
12-20-2005, 09:05 AM
When you say "race by yourself," I asume you are
talking about solo racing. Solo racing being one car through at a time and you compare times?

Well, if wheel-2-wheel is what you want, there is no
affordable option. You might want to look into the
"serious" go-kart serious (100+ mph karts).

That will still be expensive, but not as expensive as a full sized car. Also, I would never consider racing wheel-2-wheel with your daily driver.

There are track days that have multiple cars out on the course at a time, but passing is limited and only by point-bys.

Ace$nyper
12-20-2005, 12:47 PM
When you say "race by yourself," I asume you are
talking about solo racing. Solo racing being one car through at a time and you compare times?

Well, if wheel-2-wheel is what you want, there is no
affordable option. You might want to look into the
"serious" go-kart serious (100+ mph karts).

That will still be expensive, but not as expensive as a full sized car. Also, I would never consider racing wheel-2-wheel with your daily driver.

There are track days that have multiple cars out on the course at a time, but passing is limited and only by point-bys.
I would agree fully,

I just can't afford to do even Honda challenge *ripping my car apart again to meet rules is another issue :lol: * but I can swing track days often cost varrying from 20-200 day. From the ones I've ran at PIR.

Solo racing is great and you never outgrow it or feel let down afterwards.

I say you want to do it right and do well. Bracket drag and auto X stock. Working on your driving skills and finding out what you enjoy most and what you want to do before spending money and ending up unhappy.

JLad10687
12-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Well I know I wouldnt use my daily driver with more then one car on the track at a time just due to bumping and what not. What other alternatives to the go carts are there? Like on TV when you see the dirt track racings, is that only in Tennesse and hic areas?

JekylandHyde
12-21-2005, 02:39 PM
There are dirt Sprint car races all over PA.

What part of the country are you in?

Add your comment to this topic!