Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Optima will not start

ka6uup
12-18-2005, 07:47 PM
I have a 2001 Optima.
Yesterday it suddenly died while driving.
It cranks fine, lights work etc but will not start.
All fuses are ok
Is this a common problem? Any suggestions
TIA
Chuck

MeettheCreeper
12-19-2005, 10:32 AM
I have a 2001 Optima.
All fuses are ok
TIA
Chuck

Could be any number of problems???

Crank signal??

Fuel psi??

No it is not a common problem anymore than any other vehicle.

Without further information it would be hard to give a diffinitive answer.

KMG9185
12-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Could be any number of problems???

Crank signal??

Fuel psi??

No it is not a common problem anymore than any other vehicle.

Without further information it would be hard to give a diffinitive answer.

yes check your crank sensor......
and also we have sometimes the ignition failure to go bad.....if you have the 2.4 it is located right next to the cam sensor...... i have seen a few of them go bad...but not to many....

Kevin

lv2snwbrd
05-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Okay, not saying that this is the problem with your car but... I had the same problem with my car (2001 Optima SE 4cyl). I was driving it down the road and it just quit on me. It would turn over but not crank. Check engine light was on and had been for a while, had I checked it the whole thing could have been avoided. It ended up being my timing belt. Completley shreaded it. I was able to change it myself as there are marks to line up with on the engine. Fairly simple for an experianced do-it-yourselfer. I think I did it in an afternoon. I would go to auto zone or checker and borrow thier code reader and pull the codes off of your car and if anything related to timing is in there pull your timing cover and get a good look at the belt. There are actually two belts to pay attention to a large one and a small one. Hope this helps you. Changed mine and haven't had a problem in the past ten months. Again just b/c it was my problem doesn't mean it will be yours but it sounds pretty similar.

Lv2

lv2snwbrd
05-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Just looked at the date on your post. Didn't realize it was so old. If you already have it fixed, what did the problem end up being?

JesusFreak4Real
06-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Greetings! I've haven't been on the forum for a while and had just gotten back on it today when I saw your post. Did you ever get your car fixed? If so, what was the problem??? I had the same problem with my 2000 Sportage last summmer. It turned out to be the 2 fuses on under the hood. They are easy to get to and are on the passenger side. You can't tell by looking at them if they are bad. Fuel pump fuses. Both cost me $26 from Kia. Probably one of the cheapest things you'll buy from a dealer.
Anyway, that was after paying over $100 for a mechanic to screw up my gas tank replacing a fuel pump, which caused me having to replace my fuel tank.
Everyone told me it might be the crank sensor, so I went the easiest, cheapest route first. Which, fortunately, turned out to be the best route. Wish I did that before taking it to the mechanic.
Hope to hear from you on this.
Vanessa

I have a 2001 Optima.
All fuses are ok
TIA
Chuck

Add your comment to this topic!