Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking into a supra

Reamo04
12-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Alright, so recently I have been looking into a new car. One of my friends just got a 87 supra with turbo that is pretty nice for 3700.
I am wondering if Supra's are reliable?
Right now i have a turbo'd civic and it is nice, but not all that nice.
I am basically looking for a Supra because they look nice, and i only buy imports. If i can find one with turbo, what can they safely handle for PSI?
I have a gt35r turbo in my garage that i took out of my civic that i could put on. Just wondering some performance parts to buy and such to get it decently fast.
I have about 6500 to spend on a new car.

TcmaBoy
12-18-2005, 02:50 PM
You can build a decent MK III Supra for 6500. Especially if you already have a turbo. Your gt35 should do rather well on the 3.0L. Make sure only to use metal head gaskets on the 7MGTE. Standard head gaskets don't hold up well.

97cavalier
12-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Alright, so recently I have been looking into a new car. One of my friends just got a 87 supra with turbo that is pretty nice for 3700.
I am wondering if Supra's are reliable?
Right now i have a turbo'd civic and it is nice, but not all that nice.
I am basically looking for a Supra because they look nice, and i only buy imports. If i can find one with turbo, what can they safely handle for PSI?
I have a gt35r turbo in my garage that i took out of my civic that i could put on. Just wondering some performance parts to buy and such to get it decently fast.
I have about 6500 to spend on a new car.
Hey , i just got a 87 supra turbo, and i love it. They look good, they are FAST, and yes they are reliable. I would not push any more the 12psi out of a stock turbo. You can go more but it is not safe. The turbo motor are sopposed to last at least 200,000 miles. Mine has 122,000 and it runs like new. Just if you get one check the turbo shaft for play, and make shure that the head gasket was replaced with a metal one. These cars are know for blowing head gaskets. If it don't have a metal one, it will blow. So good luck!!

Reamo04
12-18-2005, 04:07 PM
should i look for a N/A, or one with turbo?
I figure look for one with turbo so it already has manifold, lowered compression and all that stuff, havent really researched or anything, thought id bring it here first

97cavalier
12-18-2005, 07:43 PM
should i look for a N/A, or one with turbo?
I figure look for one with turbo so it already has manifold, lowered compression and all that stuff, havent really researched or anything, thought id bring it here first
ya get a turbo!!!

Reamo04
12-18-2005, 08:05 PM
alright, lucky me
i found a 1994 targa with 104,xxx miles. it is twin turbod, black with tan leather, it is manual.has a few small scratches,smudges - nothing major - buff will take it out. it has HKS Titanium exhaust, HKS Blow off valve, HKS evc Boost controller, rod millen down pipe, greddy bcc max cold air intake, ngk sparkplugs, All records, has only used royal purple motor oil. Good pick up?

97cavalier
12-18-2005, 08:09 PM
alright, lucky me
i found a 1994 targa with 104,xxx miles. it is twin turbod, black with tan leather, it is manual.has a few small scratches,smudges - nothing major - buff will take it out. it has HKS Titanium exhaust, HKS Blow off valve, HKS evc Boost controller, rod millen down pipe, greddy bcc max cold air intake, ngk sparkplugs, All records, has only used royal purple motor oil. Good pick up?
how much?

Reamo04
12-18-2005, 09:28 PM
my bad, its only 5,990

97cavalier
12-19-2005, 06:43 PM
my bad, its only 5,990
wow, great deal, carfax it and make shure it is not salvaged.

TcmaBoy
12-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Its a good pick up if its real. Ask to see the title and the car in person before any money changes hands. Also have it checked out by a mechanic. He may have blown the motor. There are a lot of scams out there. The price seems a bit low. The normal price is usually about $14,000 to $18,000.

Reamo04
12-19-2005, 07:09 PM
already have. I also found an auto 97 for 5,000 flat, stock but has new front bumper, exhaust, and rims

Yellow 13
12-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Are you shopping on the black market or something?

97cavalier
12-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Are you shopping on the black market or something?
ya, where are you finding these at?

tipota
12-20-2005, 02:25 PM
i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all those cars you are finding are scams. youll get e-mails saying the car is in germany or something, and to write the cash over and hell send the car. you wont get a decent MKIV twin turbo supra that is in decent condition for under 18k. ive looked and responded to many cars like that and they are all scams. dont give out a dime until you see the car in person.

Reamo04
12-20-2005, 09:03 PM
no, my mechanics have found them for me at car auctions that are in pretty good shape. the one for 5 flat is by my uncle in ohio so i should be able to check it out over my xmas break.
The one for 5,990 my mechanic said needs a new headgasket and piston ring (he thinks)

Reamo04
12-20-2005, 09:04 PM
oh, both deals have agreed t let me drive the car first, and check everything out first.

Yellow 13
12-20-2005, 10:56 PM
i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all those cars you are finding are scams. youll get e-mails saying the car is in germany or something, and to write the cash over and hell send the car. you wont get a decent MKIV twin turbo supra that is in decent condition for under 18k. ive looked and responded to many cars like that and they are all scams. dont give out a dime until you see the car in person.

There was a single turbo 97 that went for 1000 by where I live. I went to look at it for myself but someone had come and got it already. Lady got mad at her husband and sold it off in a divorce. whoever got that is the luckiest bastard in the world.

Yellow 13
12-20-2005, 10:58 PM
oh, both deals have agreed t let me drive the car first, and check everything out first.
How is someone gonna let you test drive a car with a bad HG and piston rings? No offence but you sound like your coming out of a cows ass. nothing but BS.

And if hes gonna fix a car just to let you drive it he may as well sell it for the full blue book amount.

JLad10687
12-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Yea bud, that seems too good to be true.

M3 Special
12-21-2005, 11:07 AM
There was a single turbo 97 that went for 1000 by where I live. I went to look at it for myself but someone had come and got it already. Lady got mad at her husband and sold it off in a divorce. whoever got that is the luckiest bastard in the world.

reminds me of that show i saw on Sci-Fi back in the day (about a month ago). something about Fact or fiction. this kid saw a classic Sting Ray Vette in the paper for a dollar. in mint condition. the lady was mad at her husband, so she sold it for a dollar. now thats a deal.

Reamo04
12-21-2005, 03:02 PM
the guy with the one with the bad headgasket claims he has the new parts that will be put on so i can test drive it...idk thought
If all goes through, i should have it be the 1st of the year...otherwise im just gonna get a 88 or so

bkvj
01-13-2006, 03:53 PM
i would go for your uncle's straight away. i mean, dude, its your uncle, so he should be honest with you.

Uephoria
01-20-2006, 01:41 AM
Im really interested in buying a Supra(93 or later) but dont really very much about the car. Im going to have to import from the US so I need to know what to look for and what questions to ask. I know i want a turbo. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JLad10687
01-20-2006, 11:34 AM
^^ I hope you're rich ^^ Everyone wants a '93 or later supra.

Uephoria
01-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah. Im aware that the demand is way higher then the supply for these cars. R u saying its going to be hard just to find a 93 or later TT for sale? Dont get me wrong Im up for the challange, Im very determined to get a Supra.

Uephoria
01-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah,I know the demand for the car is way higher than the supply. R u saying that its going to be really hard just to find a 93' or later for sale. And if I do find one, that it will most likely be over priced?

supraoversex
01-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Hey im looking for a supra too, but up in canada you cant find one past 93 should i buy one in the states and bring it up or just give up on the dream

Add your comment to this topic!