Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rodeo wont start after new alternator,starter,batt

erock3000
12-18-2005, 12:02 AM
my 95 rodeo wont start even after i put in a new starter,alternator,and batt.i cant figure it out i checked all wireing i just dont know can anyone help with this problem and this problem started after i got a little fender bender dented the right side front fender oh ya it did run for 2 days after i changed everything went to store wont start but will start after a good push any info would b great.

Cat Fuzz
12-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Need more information on the symptoms. Does the engine crank? Is it totally dead? 5 speed or automatic? Do you have power to the fuel pump? Fuses good? Relays working? Cream and sugar? Do you dress to the left or right?

erock3000
12-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Need more information on the symptoms. Does the engine crank? Is it totally dead? 5 speed or automatic? Do you have power to the fuel pump? Fuses good? Relays working? Cream and sugar? Do you dress to the left or right?
ok its completely dead wont turn over checked all the fuses its a 5 speed all relays wok i do have power the lights come on and radio works it just wont start and i do like surgar no cream and dressing i start from the bottom up. thanks

paulsantangelo
12-18-2005, 07:14 AM
When you checked the wiring tdid you trace it all the way back to the ECM? Or did you just see that the connects are good? You say you got hit on the right side (passenger)? The engine wire harnesses are there, be sure nothing is grounding out like the fuel pump test circuit.

Canucklehead
12-18-2005, 08:06 AM
ok its completely dead wont turn over checked all the fuses its a 5 speed all relays wok i do have power the lights come on and radio works it just wont start and i do like surgar no cream and dressing i start from the bottom up. thanksSeeing as you can push start it you can pretty much narrow your problem down to the starter circuit. Does the starter solenoid click? On a 5-spd the only things between the ignition and the starter motor which would prevent the solenoid from engaging is a couple of fuses, the clutch safety switch and the starter relay. You said you checked the fuses and relay but did you check the safety switch?

If you can hear the solenoid engage you can concentrate finding out what is preventing power from getting to the motor. Could be that the contacts that shut when the solenoid engages aren't making good contact, could be a bad connection somewhere.

erock3000
12-18-2005, 11:13 AM
i hear nothing when i turn the key.but the funny thing is it drove for two days before it stopped the fender bender happend about two months ago i will check things again thanks guys for your help i will let ya know

erock3000
12-18-2005, 04:25 PM
i dont hear anything from the selinoid i can hear the battary power going to where it needsa to go i know that sound funnybut i dont hear the starter

erock3000
12-18-2005, 04:28 PM
where is the safety switch?

Cat Fuzz
12-18-2005, 08:38 PM
where is the safety switch?

Usually near the clutch pedal.

erock3000
12-19-2005, 08:38 AM
ya i found it we checked this truck for 3 hours found nothing so going to start over going to take alt out and have tested.dont know what else to do. not taking it to a shop damn it.

Gizmo42
12-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Try remounting the starter. When I replaced mine it didnt want to work and acted like the one I took out. It was binding up. Took me a few tries to get it mounted in just right where it wouldnt bind. I loosened the bolts about half way then while holding it up in position with one hand tightened the bolt closest to the frame first, just snug, then tightened the other and torqued both to spec. If I did it any other way it would bind.

When you have the starter loose where the gears wont hit anything try the ignition switch and see if the starter will turn. If it does then I'm betting on it just being bound up. Dont do this with the starter all the way unbolted. The torque of the starter might cause the whole thing to spin and if the battery cable post hits something you will have sparks (no this isnt from experience, just a warning :nono:)

paulsantangelo
12-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Just one more crazy question, you dont have a kill switch on this vehicle do you?

erock3000
12-24-2005, 12:54 AM
no i dont have a kill switch.i loosened the starter and i hear it works ill try the tighting thing u did hopefully that will work thanx

surferfletch
12-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Did you recover the dowels from the old mounting bracket?

erock3000
12-24-2005, 11:43 AM
no i didnt is thst the foamy stuff that was on it or the thing that looks like a gasget

surferfletch
12-24-2005, 12:40 PM
If you're not getting the solenoid to click, then the way the starter is mounted probably has nothing to do with the problem. The starter mounting bracket in my '97 has 2 alignment dowels to help you get the bracket in the same place each time you remove/replace it. The new one I put in didn't have those dowels, so I had to pull them out of the old starter bracket. Again, probably nothing to help you with your problem, but something to check if you think alignment is the issue. Hope you get it soon!

erock3000
12-31-2005, 02:00 PM
ok tested the alt,starter and bat for the third time all good i am totally stumped any and i mean any seggestions would be greatly helpful at this time.oh and wiring harnis is good to im confused and really in a jam. come on guys throw some ideas my way

mva5142
01-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Try changing the terminals on your positive and negative battery cables. They only cost about 5$, but corrosion can build up in them and as they get older the connections may not be tight enough. I had a 93 rodeo with an electrical short, very similar to yours, I put a new starter, new positive battery cable, new wire to the fuse box and nothing worked. When I cut off the old negative battery cable terminal and put a new one on it fixed the problem. You might try jumping it too, that would narrow it down to battery weakness or you might pick up a ground by jumping it and it will start.

erock3000
01-02-2006, 02:35 PM
thanks ill try it someone told it could be the ignition so i have steering wheel colum apart the only thing i saw was thiers a little peg that is suppost to be at the end of the switch.its gone will that make a difference?i have repaced them before but i dont really know the purpous of this peg

erock3000
01-03-2006, 01:29 AM
ok bought new terminals but no start i can hear the a clicking sound when i turn the key but nothing happening i know im close try to jump it tomarrow but if u guys have any hints please feel free to throw them in thanks

surferfletch
01-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Single click or rapid clicking?

erock3000
01-04-2006, 01:06 AM
its a rapid click.ok went to checkers auto parts to have my third starter tested it failed .ok number 4 (checkers)asked to test it before i walk out door tada failed out of the box.now we r up 2#6 from diffrentstore same name tester brokin exsited its gato work right?wrong new starter same clicking what am i doing wrong i ask??????????very confused :(

Gizmo42
01-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I've gotten alot of bad starters from checkers, thats why I quit buying from them for a while. The one I just put in my rodeo is from them though. But its an Autolite brand remanufactured. Figured I would have better luck with brand name and not their brand. I was only buying Napa starters for a while but have had problems with theirs lately too.

One problem with the test stations they use at auto parts stores is they provide very high cranking amps so a bad starter could show good. Had a bad one out of the box I was putting in my neices car that wouldnt turn at all with it out of the car and just hooked to her battery (650 CCA) but tested fine at the store :shakehead Had to take them to the parking lot and hook it to my battery to show them it was bad (750 CCA).

I dont remember if you said whether you had the battery load tested. If you did and its good, and the starter turns ok with it wired up but not actually mounted then it still sounds like a binding problem to me. Took me numerous tries to get it mounted just right so it didnt bind. I didnt know about the dowel pins so didnt check if the original even had them (after 7 hrs fighting the exhaust pipe I didnt really care :banghead: ) If your battery doesnt pass load test it could have enough power to turn the starter alone but not enough with the added load of the engine.

surferfletch
01-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I'd suggest double checking the battery at this point. Can't believe your luck with the bad starters!

erock3000
01-05-2006, 05:40 PM
well i got a new starter put in and the damn thing wouldnt start took to checkers it passed so ya ill check out the battary this time thats the only thing it could be but i do have one question the there r two neg wires to the alt one gos to the alt and the other ?to frame of truck?to the alt mount?or does it matter as long as its grounded?just a question maybe one of u guys know.thanks for all your help and replies guys this is a great site hope i can one of u guys out one day.

mva5142
01-06-2006, 10:17 AM
I have a 93 3.2 liter and the negative battery cable has 3 grounds. One goes to the fender, one goes to the block, and one goes to the alternator mounting piece.

I would take the battery somewhere and get it tested. Not just a quick hookup where the test takes a few minutes, but one where it is really load tested for 30 minutes or so.

Have you tried jump starting it yet? that would help narrow it down pretty quick without going through a lot of trouble taking starters off and on. At the least, put a different battery in it and try it.

erock3000
01-06-2006, 09:35 PM
thank u i try the mount i think thats the one i was looking for.

surferfletch
08-26-2006, 08:02 PM
This is an old thread. I wonder if erock got it going?

Add your comment to this topic!