Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 camry instrument panel lights

kozykids
12-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Have it pulled apart, all bulbs are working (directionals, charge etc) with the exception of three bulbs that light the panel up itself ( for night driving ). The three bulbs that aren't working have a green rubbery cover over them. Okay not sure of the correct terms but the copper that runs on the back of the panel , circuit A1 goes to these 3 bulbs only, could one bulb be blown causing them all not to function, would it be more likely a wire issues or in the harness(not the only wires in the harness).

Mike Gerber
12-18-2005, 03:38 PM
I have replaced those bulbs individually both on my 86 and 98 Camry. I doubt one bulb going out would kill all three bulbs. Those bulbs are just normal 194 bulbs with the green sheath over them. You could try a 194 bulb just to see if they are all burned out, but that is unlikely. If it does work, then if you are real careful you can peel off the sheath and put it on the new 194 bulbs. Most likely however, you do have a wiring problem.

Good luck.

Mike

kozykids
12-19-2005, 04:39 AM
yeah bulb replacement did nothing, could a faulty dimmer switch be a possible reason, I believe it controls just the four bulbs in question.

Mike Gerber
12-19-2005, 02:43 PM
yeah bulb replacement did nothing, could a faulty dimmer switch be a possible reason, I believe it controls just the four bulbs in question.

I think the dimmer switch controls all the dash lights including the ones around the climate control system and the one(s) for the radio. Try turning the switch from bright to dim or the other way around and see if the dimmer switch works.

Mike

kozykids
12-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Nothing happens when I turn the knob.

Mike Gerber
12-20-2005, 09:13 AM
Nothing happens when I turn the knob.

I'm not sure if that means the dimmer switch itself is bad or some of the wiring as you mentioned earlier. I wouldn't want you to just throw a dimmer switch at it. The switches probably aren't cheap. Have you checked the wiring yet? Maybe someone else who has had more experience with the dimmer switch and it's various failure modes can chime in here. Do you have a manual to refer to?

Sorry I couldn't offer more help here.

You might also want to post this in the Camry forum on Toyotanation.com. Maybe someone there will have a few more thoughts on where to go from here.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!