Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Malibu trans. fluid

ptrkintx
12-16-2005, 06:45 PM
How the heck do you go about checking/ filling the transmission fluid in a 2000 Malibu? I don't have an owners manual to give me tips.

jennyree
12-16-2005, 09:23 PM
How the heck do you go about checking/ filling the transmission fluid in a 2000 Malibu? I don't have an owners manual to give me tips.

The funny thing about the 2000 Malibu is that there is no transmission fluid dipstick. The transmission is "guaranteed" to be leak-free for up to 100,000 or 150,000 miles (I can't remember which). So, if you're wanting to add more, you have to do it blindly; and, there is no way to tell if you are low on fluid.

That is, of course, unless you take it back to the dealer to have them check it for a minimal fee. Sneaky, sneaky they are.

I found this out the hard way on my Malibu.

RahX
12-16-2005, 09:29 PM
actually you can check it. and actually it is a pain in the ass. on the rear of the transmission, passenger side right above the axle is a tiny plug. you have to run the engine and get it up to operating temp and lift the car. you then remove that plug and fill the transmission until atf runs out of that hole. Did i mention the thing has to be level? i hate those transmissions with a passion.

jennyree
12-16-2005, 09:33 PM
actually you can check it. and actually it is a pain in the ass. on the rear of the transmission, passenger side right above the axle is a tiny plug. you have to run the engine and get it up to operating temp and lift the car. you then remove that plug and fill the transmission until atf runs out of that hole. Did i mention the thing has to be level? i hate those transmissions with a passion.

So, in other words, its not something you'd want to do....

....EVER.

Take it somewhere.

ptrkintx
12-16-2005, 11:14 PM
The funny thing about the 2000 Malibu is that there is no transmission fluid dipstick. The transmission is "guaranteed" to be leak-free for up to 100,000 or 150,000 miles (I can't remember which). So, if you're wanting to add more, you have to do it blindly; and, there is no way to tell if you are low on fluid.

That is, of course, unless you take it back to the dealer to have them check it for a minimal fee. Sneaky, sneaky they are.

I found this out the hard way on my Malibu.

Thanks. I saw the red cap and it looked like it would be a real pain.

ptrkintx
12-16-2005, 11:15 PM

Sounds like a good one to hate. actually, there isn't much that I do like about that car.

ptrkintx
12-16-2005, 11:17 PM
So, in other words, its not something you'd want to do....

....EVER.

Take it somewhere.

Agreed!

slls
12-17-2005, 12:12 PM
It's easy when you have done it once, I find it no harder than an oil change. You just need a procedure that works for you .

Add your comment to this topic!