Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Jimmy fan speed control smokes

hexnut4
12-16-2005, 04:44 PM
My 1995 Jimmy's fan (heater) speed control switch smokes when the setting is changed. It will smoke when I first start the engine too. Is there a danger of fire from this (where there's smoke there's fire)? Will replacing the switch cure the smoking problem? How hard is it to change the switch? I have had the dash panel out before so I know what a pain that is. Thanks for any help.

rlith
12-17-2005, 08:10 AM
My 1995 Jimmy's fan (heater) speed control switch smokes when the setting is changed. It will smoke when I first start the engine too. Is there a danger of fire from this (where there's smoke there's fire)? Will replacing the switch cure the smoking problem? How hard is it to change the switch? I have had the dash panel out before so I know what a pain that is. Thanks for any help.

Your rheostat on the switch is hosed... Yes, this is a serious firehazard... Replacing the switch should cure it, if it doesn't then you have a deeper issue in the wiring harness.

herkyhawki
12-18-2005, 09:40 PM
It is a very common failure, and less than $15 at most parts stores. Easy to change.

hexnut4
12-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the responses... now I just need a little warmer weather to do the replacement. No garage and cold temps (Chicago).

Add your comment to this topic!