my car keeps stalling while im driving

FiRsTnLaSt
12-16-2005, 03:57 PM
1993 buick century special 3.3L

first i bought the car and they said it just needed a new tranny..then when i got that fixed i thought i was all good..untill the car cuts off while im driving...so i pull over and it starts right up..then when i start going again it starts to bogg out then stalls...if it doesnt stalls then it just jerks me around untill it stalls... i changed the fuel filter and my mechanic doesnt know what it might be either...any suggestions...?
THANKS...also..getting it on the highway or not it does this.

maxwedge
12-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Need a better description here, does this happen slowing down coming to a stop, also if you start it back up and put it in gear does it die again? Did this happen before the trans. As you see your info is way short of what is required for cyber help.

Kevins1955
12-18-2005, 07:13 PM
This sounds like a fuel problem to me. I don't know if your mechanic did a fuel system check, or how many miles are on the vehicle, so I'm guessing, a bit. But if it starts up after it stalls, it could be that the fuel pump is weak, and is not supplying the proper amount of fuel.

Good luck.

FiRsTnLaSt
12-19-2005, 09:45 AM
oh... sorry guys for the short description but yes this was an issue before the transmission...and no it doesnt die when i put it back in gear after it already stalls..it happens to stall as my foot is down on the gas..like i said while im already going like 20mph or faster it starts to die and the engine starts to cuts off and then it will come back on..so the car kinds of throw me back and forth untill it stalls..or for another example i can have the pedal to the ground and sometimes it feels like nothing is working then all of a sudden it will start to pull then it will die..
and also the car only has 100,800 miles on it..

ARCAutomotive
01-01-2006, 11:34 PM
oh... sorry guys for the short description but yes this was an issue before the transmission...and no it doesnt die when i put it back in gear after it already stalls..it happens to stall as my foot is down on the gas..like i said while im already going like 20mph or faster it starts to die and the engine starts to cuts off and then it will come back on..so the car kinds of throw me back and forth untill it stalls..or for another example i can have the pedal to the ground and sometimes it feels like nothing is working then all of a sudden it will start to pull then it will die..
and also the car only has 100,800 miles on it..

I have seen the crank sensor cause this problem on the v-6 distributor less ignition systems. try this simple test, hook up a standard timing light to any plug wire and drive down the road, see if spark is leaving you when it stalls out. (timing light will stop flashing if spark is missing).

FiRsTnLaSt
01-06-2006, 05:14 PM
I have seen the crank sensor cause this problem on the v-6 distributor less ignition systems. try this simple test, hook up a standard timing light to any plug wire and drive down the road, see if spark is leaving you when it stalls out. (timing light will stop flashing if spark is missing).

alright i try to go do that to see if its the problem....

mechbabe713
02-17-2006, 03:39 AM
1993 buick century special 3.3L

first i bought the car and they said it just needed a new tranny..then when i got that fixed i thought i was all good..untill the car cuts off while im driving...so i pull over and it starts right up..then when i start going again it starts to bogg out then stalls...if it doesnt stalls then it just jerks me around untill it stalls... i changed the fuel filter and my mechanic doesnt know what it might be either...any suggestions...?
THANKS...also..getting it on the highway or not it does this.

ive had a simular problem with my 94 century and the solution ended up being the coolant temp sensor was cloged up, but before u start throwing parts at it try warming it up completly befor you start driving and see how your doing on gas milage to see if the sensor is even your problem first.

LB

FiRsTnLaSt
02-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah, Thats what i was wondering about too..It seems like everytime i pump a full tank into the car it always seem to be on empty so fast since i barely drive the thing..only if i reall really need too..but now the car is in the shop and they are still trying to figure it out, but im going to throw more suggestions for them thanks...!

Add your comment to this topic!