Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'84 Buick Century "chirpping" in belt area

erlegrubb
12-16-2005, 12:20 PM
My 1984 Buick Century 3.0 Custom V6 has 107,000 miles and has always been well cared for and currently lives in Stroudsburg, PA. Last winter, on cold-starts in the morning, a "chripping" sound at regular quick intervals (once every 3/4 of a second) started occurring from the belt area and seemed to be most noticeable from the alternator area. This sound gets quieter as the engine warms up and after about 8-10 minutes is almost unnoticeable. In the hottest part of the summer it is almost non-existent. The alternator belt was replaced about 2 years ago, before the sound began. Could this be a forecaster of something negative that could happen?

Hapynzap
12-21-2005, 07:08 PM
I got a 85 century with the v-6 and it has FOUR BELTS. Any one of them could be loose and causing the problem.

if it's the power steering belt that one is a honey to tighten, heh.

Loekee75
12-21-2005, 07:37 PM
My 1984 Buick Century 3.0 Custom V6 has 107,000 miles and has always been well cared for and currently lives in Stroudsburg, PA. Last winter, on cold-starts in the morning, a "chripping" sound at regular quick intervals (once every 3/4 of a second) started occurring from the belt area and seemed to be most noticeable from the alternator area. This sound gets quieter as the engine warms up and after about 8-10 minutes is almost unnoticeable. In the hottest part of the summer it is almost non-existent. The alternator belt was replaced about 2 years ago, before the sound began. Could this be a forecaster of something negative that could happen?

Try using some belt dressing at the time that you hear the chirpping, if it stops the noise then that's all it was. If not, it could be an alternator bearing.

Add your comment to this topic!