Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Farewell to the 3800?

Loekee75
12-16-2005, 03:27 AM
I read that GM may "possibly" discontinue the production of the legendary 3800!
Has anyone heard anything else on this? I thought it was odd because the series III hasn't been in production but, what, 2 years?

tman
12-16-2005, 09:14 AM
They have a 3900 now. THe pushrods, although reliable, are the way of the past in the eyes of automotive critics. Myself, my 3800 is plenty powerful.

I think they may make a 3800 again one day, possibly with overhead cams. The series 3 will stick around for a while though.

Flatrater
12-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Blame our government! Two reasons why GM would get rid of any engine are 1-fuel mileage 2- emissions.

Our government is putting extreme pressure on car makers to increase gas mileage and the 3800 is maxed out. Also the government wants cleaner burning engines which no more can be done to the 3800. I would bet those are the reasons behind the death of the 3800.

FYI GM has a 1000 horsepower 4 cylinder out now which offers both the things our government wants while offering car owners more choices.

tman
12-17-2005, 12:05 AM
lets see this 1000 hp 4 banger flatrater. I was ready to jump on the noob saying that, then i saw it was you, and if you said that, that means its true. lets see it!

Loekee75
12-17-2005, 06:58 AM
Blame our government! Two reasons why GM would get rid of any engine are 1-fuel mileage 2- emissions.

Our government is putting extreme pressure on car makers to increase gas mileage and the 3800 is maxed out. Also the government wants cleaner burning engines which no more can be done to the 3800. I would bet those are the reasons behind the death of the 3800.

FYI GM has a 1000 horsepower 4 cylinder out now which offers both the things our government wants while offering car owners more choices.

A 1,000 HP 4 banger? Nothing American about that:p

MagicRat
12-17-2005, 11:17 AM
The 3800 is based on a design first introduced in late 1961.
GM regularly rehashes and reuses ancient technology and this trend is part of their problems in the market today,

There are limits to what can be done with older designs. I like the 3800 but it simply is not comparable to the competing engine designs for smoothness and economy.

Flatrater
12-18-2005, 05:17 PM
lets see this 1000 hp 4 banger flatrater. I was ready to jump on the noob saying that, then i saw it was you, and if you said that, that means its true. lets see it!Awhile ago I was talking with a GM engineer who told me GM has a 1000 HP ecotec engine that they are playing with. I haven't seen it only heard about it. Will GM roll it into production not sure but if GM gets enough pressure they may put it into production.

Ok I did find this showing the 2.2L making 1200 HP. -----> http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/html/rs_drag_hotrod.htm

Here is the build book----> http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/downloads/gmtunerengine_assembly_over_600hp_control_systems_ and_torque_specs.pdf

However you can buy a kit to make a Chevy Cobalt into 500 hP. The site is here---> http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/html/home.htm

stoned_pimp420
12-20-2005, 11:36 PM
500HP in a COBALT!!!! HOLY SHIT that's gonna be fast or just plain pointless, but it'll be one of the two for sure if not both.

1200HP 2.2L is insane too and all I have to say is GM has gone totally ricer, nope nothing american about them anymore.

As for them discontinuing the 3800 ......well......I'll keep my comments to myself so I won't get banned for obscenities. But I believe GM has gone down the crapper, who else thinks this besides me, or am I just insane?

wrightz28
12-22-2005, 03:03 PM
The 3.8 III is still the base line for the '06 Lucerne which is enough power for me, sure some Northstar power is nice, but practicality of service, it's packed in there and do you know where the starter is?

In the lifter valley.

I just hope they'll change the tail lights soon, looks like an oversized corolla from the back :gay:

BNaylor
01-05-2006, 09:41 AM
If GM wanted to they could squeeze a lot more more life out of the 3800. And if nothing else it will live a long life in the used car market and with new owners that made a wise decision to get a GM car still offering the platform.

I don't have any plans of getting rid of any of mine too soon. The last road trip (1200 miles) I took in my '01 Regal GS I averaged 29 mpg. I am going to drive it until it falls apart and GM can have their new VVT engines. I guess it is time to start looking at similar Japanese offerings.

Add your comment to this topic!