Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

F40 kits?

UncleMeat777
06-05-2002, 11:25 PM
I'm wondering what the best F40 kit is (from your experience)? I have the Italeria kit, which seems good, but a freak accident destroyed the body. So, I bid on a Fujimi one on ebay. I also saw there is a Tamiya one as well.

Opinions?

JE123
06-05-2002, 11:48 PM
I've got the Tamiya version. I can't really say anything about it since I haven't started it yet. But it appears to be done really well.

I have heard that the Fujimi version has lower profile tires in it than the Tamiya version.

Tazzilla
06-06-2002, 12:08 AM
What Italleria F40 do you have? Is it the F40 LeMans if so do you still have the instructions. I the Italeria F40 LeMans and the instructions are not there I got it used.

UncleMeat777
06-06-2002, 12:40 AM
sorry, it's the standard F40. Think the instructions would still help to a degree?

Ranger_X
06-06-2002, 02:08 AM
Which ones come with engines? IMO, the F40 is the nicest looking ferrari of all time and it's definitly gonna be my next one!

UncleMeat777
06-06-2002, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Ranger_X
Which ones come with engines? IMO, the F40 is the nicest looking ferrari of all time and it's definitly gonna be my next one!

I think they all do...

daggerlee
06-06-2002, 05:55 AM
Tamiya is your best bet in terms of part quality and part fit and overall engineering. Knowing Fujimi, they probably skimped over a lot of the details in the F40.

hirofkd
06-06-2002, 08:25 AM
This is such a timely topic, as I just bought all F40 kits recently.
Here are pictures of F40 tires. From left to right, Italeri, Tamiya and Protar. Please note that the Italeri tires sit a bit high because of the runner. (OOPS, I put some of the P-Zero in the wrong way.)
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/641031f40tire1.jpg
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/412906f40tire2.jpg

As you can see, Tamiya is the best, and Fujimi (not shown) is almost as good. The front and rear tires of the Italeri kit are identical, and the rears should be much wider. Also the pattern is not P-Zero.
Protar's tires are too skinny, especially the front look like a temp tire. The pattern is P-Zero, but it looks very dull. Only Tamiya (and Fujimi) includes P-Zero 245/40/ZR17 and 335/35/ZR17.

Tamiya, Italeri and Protar have separate rear hatch, and the engine assembly is clearly visible. Fujimi's rear hatch is not separate, but it has good top and rear engine detail, and it can be seen through a mesh sheet.

Tamiya and Fujimi's bodies are almost identical and equally good, but Tamiya represents early production model, while Fujimi is the prototype. Italeri represents the early production model, and overall size is slightly smaller than Tamiya or Fujimi. Protar is unique. The body is separated to so many pieces, that it's really a challenge to make the body, and this is definitely not for beginners. Also the front overhang of the Protar kit is way too short, and looks really bad.

Tamiya (correct body, excellent P-Zero, superb engine, good fit)
Fujimi (correct body, excellent P-Zero, decent engine where visible, mesh sheet, good fit)
Italeri (decent body, good engine, no P-Zero, incorrect rear wheel width)
Protar (unfixable front cowl, poor P-Zero, decent engine, who cares about the fit of a Protar anyway)

Any questions ?

Hawk312
06-06-2002, 06:27 PM
Here is a pic of my Fujimi F40 that I built. I felt that the proportions were a little better than the Tamiya kit.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/529030ferrarif403.jpg

Tazzilla
06-06-2002, 11:25 PM
They might my problem is i can not figure out what part of the motor goes where I have a good idea where the rest of the parts should fit. So I think if the engine is the same they would help. I bought it at a second hand shop for $3.59 Us.

Add your comment to this topic!