Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

chev colbolts

chev colbolts are
12-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Ok

have a 2005 chev colbolt the other night coming home in a snow storm i come around a turn and guess what the engine drops to idle, no the car has no ABS or traction control so this is out so why did the car do this i went sailing into a curd where the dealer stuck me with a 600.00 bill

this car is unsafe at any speed since when i spoke to the rep at gm she could not tell me why the car did this

i own an asuna sunfire and a chev beretta both good cars and never had these concerns before

if you own one of these cars please be careful.

i have contacted the cdn transportation board to look into this but until then i will not feel safe in ths car, oh by the way it has 4000kms on it

piece of junk from gm, typical

The Chev Colbolt Is A Piece Of Junk And Heres Why, The Other Night Driving Home I Came Around A Turn Some Snow On The Ground As I Took The Turn Thr Car Would No Accelerate And Went Sliding Into A Curve

No This Car Has No Abs Or Traction Control, Which The Dealer Toldme That The Car Wold Only Do This If The Car Was So Equiped

So Went To Dealer They Re Programmed Tranmsission Point And Re Programed The Pcm

All The While The Car Which Hit The Curd Do To Things That Stay In Motion Remain In Motion And Gm Stuck Me With A 600 Bill For Damge To The Bearing

This Car Is Unsafe Since The Gm Rep Could Not Tell Me What Happened To It And Would No Ensure That It Would Not Happen Again

This Car Which Has Only 4000kms On It Is A Piece Of Junk And Would Tell Anyone Interted In One Of These To Think Twicw About Buying One.

Gm Junk Typical

Thinking of buying a new Cobalt and I have read some of the posts here and would like some comments on the car itself and not necessarily a comparison to other vehicles (ie North American versus Japanese etc.)

What was the first year for these cars? What are the "common" problems so far? Are you happy with it? Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

I WOULD NOT BYE ONE SINCE I OWN ONE AND IT HAS ONLY 4000 KMS ON IT IT IS PIECE OF JUNK DON'T BUY ONE, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THEM AND THE DEALER CANNOT TELL ME WHY BE CAREFUL IF YOU BUY ONE PLASE

i'm 19, in and out of college, working steadily and i like small sporty american vehicles. i have an 89 2 door cavalier and i want something a bit bigger but still sporty and i want a 2 door. i would get a cavalier but i don't like the recent designs of them. would you reccommend a cobalt? anything i should be warned of? does it handle well? fast? good acceleration? thanks in advance.

NO YOU SHOUD NOT BY ONE OF THESE CARS I HAVE HAD ONE ONLY 4 MONTHS SO FAR TWO FLATS AND A POWER LOSS ISSUE THAT THE GM DEALER CAN'T TELL ME ABOUT.I COULD GO ON BUT PLEASE DO NOT I BEG OF YOU TO BUY ONE OF THESE CARS PIECE OF JUNK
GM JUNK

MINE ONLY HAS 4000 KMS ON IT NOTHING BUT TROUBLE AND THE IGNORANT TREAMENT BY GM JUST MAKES IT WORSE

NO MORE GM JUNK FOR ME BACK TO HONDA

January 2005

ai-online

The engineering team’s orders from GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz and small car Vehicle Line Executive Lori Queen was to design and develop the best car in class. Really! “We wanted to bring a credible small car back to Chevy in a really big way,” Queen says. Taking that order seriously, they drew up a wish-list of 150 components, systems and attributes required to achieve that … and were thrilled and surprised to see those wishes granted.

“We benchmarked all our competitors,” she relates. “We had to lead in NVH [noise, vibration and harshness] and achieve best-inclass body gaps. On our very first evaluation drive of prototypes, the Cobalt exceeded all the targets when judged against the list of competitive vehicles’ strengths and market advantages. The 150-point list was a sort of Holy Grail on which the engineers focused their attention. And with such strong results, there was no going back. There truly were no compromises to the list.”

“What has Cobalt in common with Cavalier? Other than its Ecotec engine, transmission and basic suspension layout — essentially nothing. The suspension geometry is all different,” GM Small Car Program Engineering Manager Gary Altman asserts. “The whole setup and how it performs. The lower control arms have additional ride bushings of an elastomeric that can dampen itself yet be soft. The rear axle is designed, mounted and controlled completely differently, similar to that on GM’s European Opels, with special bushings and the attitude [fore-aft angle] of its trailing arms enabling precise tuning of its handling response. The EPS (electronic power steering) is vastly improved over the Saturn’s, yet retains the fuel economy benefit. The interior and the way it’s put together are significantly different, with European accent and Chevy brand character. The concept is that fewer pieces are better.”

GM’s robust Delta architecture [b](updated and improved over the original Saturn Ion’s) is the foundation for Cobalt’s surprisingly solid feel. Its stiff structure allowed engineers to tune the MacPherson-strut front and twist-beam rear suspension with long wheel travel and directacting components without having to compromise for chassis flex. “It allowed us to work with other components independently to optimize ride and handling and NVH,” Altman says. “The Delta architecture represents a culmination of people we brought together from GM Europe, Latin America and our Asia- Pacific region,” he explains. “It’s a global architecture designed for global requirements using a lower dominant structure concept. From the front bumper and tie bar, each rail transitions into two separate rails through the underbody, then comes back together into a single rail going out the rear of the car. By developing that lower structure to handle all the load inputs, we’re able to increase stiffness in both torsion and bending so we don’t depend on the upper structure as much as in the past."

“Because the car can sustain itself on the lower part of its structure, you don’t need hydraulic motor mounts or absorbers compensating for body inputs that are amplifying road inputs. You can deal with them specifically, which makes the job much easier, and get to a higher level of performance.” The stiff structure (28 Hz average bending and torsional stiffness) also enables precise exterior tolerances, while a one-piece body side stamping reduces assembly line variation. The engineers point proudly to Cobalt’s windshield and backlight, installed with exposed-edge glass instead of conventional sealing frames, a visual testament to a level of precise build quality uncommon in the segment."

“This architecture conceptually started with discussions a long time ago when we had the idea that we should consolidate engineering homerooms,” Altman continues. “But at that point it wasn’t really an architecture. It was a discussion of, ‘What are the benefits of consolidating engineering resources and technologies in the development of a car?’” The Delta’s engineering design process began in 1998, and it debuted with the ’02 ION in 2001.

“This is one of the first vehicles where we used a lot of virtual analysis and development, and one of the first where probably more than 50 percent of our engineers were also designers. They literally did component level analysis, design and engineering of their own parts on unigraphic models in what we call “big collaboration rooms” on four-by-six-foot screens, and communicating with other rooms at other locations, including key suppliers."

“We were even able to do regular virtual builds during design and development. We pulled parts together and did interface and interference checking, workplace simulations, tool clearances and assembly plant throughput calculations.” From Vehicle Program Initiation (VPI) to SOP (Start of Production), the sedan took 21 months and the coupe 18 months.

“And there have been significant changes in the assembly operation, including doors-off processing and a completely different body shop. It’s a complete new modern assembly process, and all these changes were done while the J-car was running. We literally turned off the J-car one day and had seven days to turn on the Cobalt full-time,” Altman says.

REPLY THE NEW COLBOLT IS A PIECE OF JUNK LOSSOFPOWER ISSUES AND ON AND ON I HAD THIS CAR 4 MONTHS 4 4000KM WOULD NEVE BUY ANOTHER AND TRYING TO GET RID OF THIS E,JUNK JUNK JUNK

TYPICALGM GARBAGE

Jaguar D-Type
12-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Get snow tires

Learn to drive in the snow

Also, why assume all "Cobolts" are junk?

Your profile says you own a "2005 General Motors EV-1." What model is that? :sly:

Add your comment to this topic!