Clicking noise when I turn my steering wheel

Doittommarow
12-14-2005, 09:13 PM
This has happend once or twice before but the problem popped up again. If I turn my wheel sharply to the right, just as I turn it to the left I hear a nasty clicking noise. I know its not my CV joints cause it doesn't happen all the time, and I can tell by the location of the sound. I'll take a picture of what I think is making the noise, any ideas?

Black2000Ranger
12-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Are you positive the boots on the CV joints areant broken?

Doittommarow
12-14-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm pretty sure, its not the same clicking as a CV joint, and I had someone turn the wheel when I was looking under the hood and I think I see what is making the noise. Tomarrow I'll double check and post whats up.

AzTumbleweed
12-15-2005, 08:35 AM
I had this problem and it was the ball joints. Jack the tire up off the ground, grab it at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and alternately push and pull. If you have any play then it's probably the ball joint. Not hard to replace though.

AzTumbleweed
12-15-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm posting a picture. When you get the tire jacked up then check for play where the yellow arrow-thingy is. Only three bolts to remove when you replace it.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/353032BallJoint-med.jpg

Doittommarow
12-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Hmm, I jacked up the car and checked for play and didn't find any. Thanks for the picture though, I'll take a closer look at it. Would cold weather affect the noise or any steering components?

AzTumbleweed
12-15-2005, 04:32 PM
You might check the tie-rod ends for play. You can still take a picture of what you think it is.

I had a popping sound once and the whole rack & pinion steering unit had come loose!

Doittommarow
12-19-2005, 02:52 PM
My dad suggested that it might be the tire rod ends. How do check these? Just push and pull on them? Also any Idea on how much they are and how difficult to replace? Is there any risk with driving on bad ones?

AzTumbleweed
12-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Have someone wiggle the steering whel back and forth while you watch the tie rod ends for play. If they are bad then you'll see the play. A complete tie rod end failure will result in loss of steering.

Doittommarow
12-21-2005, 03:24 PM
OK, I had someone turn the wheel as I checked under the car, I don't think its the tire rods, but i could be wrong, so I'll have someone double check. When I popped the hood I noticed something moving back and forth (I know this isn't very descriptive but I'll do my best) it was under the master cylinder and it was metal with 4 hoses/lines coming from it, and it was connected to something that was plastic or rubber, and black in color. The connection between the metal part and the balck part seemed to be loose and it wiggled back and forth as the steering wheel was turned. Any ideas? thanks.

AzTumbleweed
12-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Sounds like the steering unit. The lines have power steering fluid in them and the black things are probably the rubber boots that protect the piece of metal that moves in and out. One time on my car this whole unit was loose. There are two clamps that secure it to the body. They could be loose.

Doittommarow
12-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah the clamps were loose on the rack and pinion. It looks like they might be tightened all the way so I'll see if they sell the clamps.

Add your comment to this topic!