Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What IS the ECM?

Firegirl
12-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I recently came into a 1988 Pulsar hatch, only there was no manual with it and I don't even know what specific model it is because it's not written on the car (like GX or anything), but it did come with the rear spoiler, if that means anything.
Anyway, I have read the threads about the ECM but it still doesn't make sense to me because I don't even know what ECM means!
This light keeps coming on and I need to understand something before I feel comfortable fixing it - what does it do and what does ECM stand for?
Thanks for your patience
Firegirl

corning_d3
12-14-2005, 07:27 PM
The ECM is the Engine Control Module. It's located on the passenger side, behind the dash and above the glove compartment, mounted on the upper dash panel. Here's a website to help you out..

82-96 Nissan Sentra-Pulsar Repair (http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=RG001&UserAction=processModel&Parameters=005)

Firegirl
12-14-2005, 08:13 PM
The ECM is the Engine Control Module. It's located on the passenger side, behind the dash and above the glove compartment, mounted on the upper dash panel. Here's a website to help you out..

82-96 Nissan Sentra-Pulsar Repair (http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=RG001&UserAction=processModel&Parameters=005)

thanks heaps, that's great!

psychopathicdude
12-21-2005, 10:36 PM
The ECM has another name as well....ECM = Exponential Cost Magnifier. Anyone who's had to fix an electrical problem involving it will understand. A seemingly minor problem, when associated with or caused by the ECM becomes greatly more expensive. That is not to discourage anyone from self-diagnosis, but "you have been warned"

mmcleo11
12-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Firegirl, if your in australia, you will probably find the the ECM or ECU(another name for ECM) will be located under the passenger side seat.

Have you had any luck with it? Has the light stopped flashing?

Firegirl
12-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Firegirl, if your in australia, you will probably find the the ECM or ECU(another name for ECM) will be located under the passenger side seat.

Have you had any luck with it? Has the light stopped flashing?

Ahh, that makes more sense - I was wondering what that unit was! I haven't had the light come on for a while, and I haven't had time to actually look into it yet. If I can't figure it out with the website I was referred to, then I might just take it to an auto elec in case I screw it all up trying to figure it out myself :)
Thanks for that heads up, too.

Add your comment to this topic!