Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Subwoofer Enclosures

dsum14
12-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Anybody know where to find info on building custom subwoofer boxes, particularly using fiberglass? Any info would be great.
D

Toppless
12-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Anybody know where to find info on building custom subwoofer boxes, particularly using fiberglass? Any info would be great.
D

I found a websit when I was building my fiberglass box.
It's not that difficult, it just takes a lot of TIME and PATCIENCE.
I can give you alittle help.
Start out with a frame of what you want your box to look like.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2070701/3
(here is my frame and unpainted box)(just copy and paste to the address bar)

After that I went to a fabric store and got 3 feet of nylon and stretched it over the whole frame. Stapling it to get in to form to certain areas.

Then I took some bondo resin and hardener and painted all of the nylon. let it dry and then take 4x4 inch cut sheets of fiberglass make your same bondo resin and cover the whole box again. build it up about 5-7 layers sanding out any big impurities as you go.

Then I took Bondo Body Filler and put on one coat and sanded as needed to get desired smoothness and look.
Then paint

I hope this helps you out.
If you have any more questions just ask

dsum14
12-30-2005, 10:45 AM
So you just build a frame and cover it with nylon huh? That doesn't sound to hard. I have built many boxes, but want something with more curvature and custom to my vehicle. How did you come up with the design for yours?
D

Toppless
12-30-2005, 01:32 PM
So you just build a frame and cover it with nylon huh? That doesn't sound to hard. I have built many boxes, but want something with more curvature and custom to my vehicle. How did you come up with the design for yours?
D

I also wanted some curiture and something that looked different. I just was thought about my trunk and what would fit and something that would look cool.

Add your comment to this topic!