Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mobil 1 Stopped the Ticking (For Now...)

MrMGA
12-13-2005, 10:18 PM
I have a '95 Rodeo with the 3.2L V6 and 97,000 miles on it. I've always had ticking come and go, but recently it became very loud, constant and embarrassing. A mechanic I trust referred me to the Isuzu TSB on this problem (i.e., the Mobil 1 treatment) and told me to follow the procedure exactly as written. That meant using Mobil 1 0W-30 (no other brand or weight), a genuine Isuzu brand oil filter, and letting the engine run at 2,500 RPM for 30 minutes. I don't understand why, but he said using the Isuzu filter was especially important. I followed these instructions and the ticking immediately disappeared and it remains gone 1,000 miles later. This procedure worked and I recommend it to anyone before resorting to harsh additives, etc.

The question I have is, at my next oil change should I go back to regular 10W-30 non-synthetic oil or should I keep using the Mobil 1? In any case, I'll keep using the Isuzu filter.

Mike

gkelly455
12-14-2005, 05:53 AM
I have a '95 Rodeo with the 3.2L V6 and 97,000 miles on it. I've always had ticking come and go, but recently it became very loud, constant and embarrassing. A mechanic I trust referred me to the Isuzu TSB on this problem (i.e., the Mobil 1 treatment) and told me to follow the procedure exactly as written. That meant using Mobil 1 0W-30 (no other brand or weight), a genuine Isuzu brand oil filter, and letting the engine run at 2,500 RPM for 30 minutes. I don't understand why, but he said using the Isuzu filter was especially important. I followed these instructions and the ticking immediately disappeared and it remains gone 1,000 miles later. This procedure worked and I recommend it to anyone before resorting to harsh additives, etc.

The question I have is, at my next oil change should I go back to regular 10W-30 non-synthetic oil or should I keep using the Mobil 1? In any case, I'll keep using the Isuzu filter.

Mike

I have a rodeo myself , and my motor recently just started ticking and seems to get worse, I was thinking about trying your solution. Seem to get worse the colder it gets. I noticed alot of people try the product sea foam in which i am a little leary. The ticking seems to be just on the right side its weird because I just purchased this automobile, and the motor ran very smoothly, this was very sudden. Any more suggestions anyone.

MrMGA
12-14-2005, 12:13 PM
I have a rodeo myself , and my motor recently just started ticking and seems to get worse, I was thinking about trying your solution. Seem to get worse the colder it gets. I noticed alot of people try the product sea foam in which i am a little leary. The ticking seems to be just on the right side its weird because I just purchased this automobile, and the motor ran very smoothly, this was very sudden. Any more suggestions anyone.

Try my solution first; it is the one recommended by Isuzu. It's also inexpensive and harmless. If that doesn't work, I would try Sea Foam. That's what I'll use if the ticking comes back. Other additives have been recommended, too.

There are dozens if not hundreds of posts on this forum about ticking. Do a keyword search on "ticking" or "Sea Foam" and you'll find a wealth of information and links.

Ramblin Fever
12-14-2005, 08:03 PM
I personally only use OEM Isuzu filter's on my Rodeo; and have for 6 of it's 8yrs.

I have tried various other filter's at times, just doesn't make it sound as good and quiet.

At 150k miles my engine is as quiet as can be; but I did experience a short 7-8k mile bout of a constant tick that ended almost as quick as it started.

For the 1st 139k miles I ran Havoline 10w-30 regular oil w/OEM filter at 3k intervals, then out of the blue it developed a slight tick. Long story short, I ran three rounds of Rotella synthetic 5w-40 HDEO (heavy duty engine oil) rated for diesel/gas engines with heavy detergents; on the 2nd round the tick left and hasn't come back.

I'm now at 151k miles and using Havoline blend or synthetic with OEM filter - preference towards 10w-30 or 5w-40.

anthonyn
12-14-2005, 09:01 PM
I personally only use OEM Isuzu filter's on my Rodeo; and have for 6 of it's 8yrs.

Where are you getting the OEM filter, and how much do they go for?

Ramblin Fever
12-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Isuzu Tynan's or Broadway in Colorado.

They're not exactly cheap, at $6.50 for one; but are set for a discount if you buy at least 3 at one time; in which case it would be $9 for all 3.

They're actually not too far off from say a Pure ONE Puralator filter, and are cheaper then a Mobil 1 filter.

I will say one thing for sure, they are VERY easy to install and take-off, and seem to be constructed well - they are the only filter that my wrench cap doesn't slide around on when removing.

I'm sure one can find an internet source, I just honestly haven't looked for one. I buy them in quantities to last for a year at a time, same with my Toyota and Dodge.

Add your comment to this topic!