Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jimmy cold starting problem

GrayRyder
12-13-2005, 09:29 PM
94 Jimmy 4.3L won't start only with starting fluid when cold. After it starts and the engine is warm, it will restart. Runs fine after starting using the starting fluid. I believe what ever induces the first shot of fuel when the vehicle is cold is the culpirt. Any suggestions?

acharles
12-14-2005, 01:31 PM
94 Jimmy 4.3L won't start only with starting fluid when cold. After it starts and the engine is warm, it will restart. Runs fine after starting using the starting fluid. I believe what ever induces the first shot of fuel when the vehicle is cold is the culpirt. Any suggestions?

I am having the exact same problem with my 96 Jimmy 4.3L engine. Once started, the vehicle runs fine. Has't anyone solved this problem?

acharles
01-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, after several years of intermittent and then steady problem with this, I finally found out what was wrong. I purchased a fuel pressure gauge and found that the fuel pump was only putting out about 49 lbs of pressure during the starting cycle. It would increase to about 60 lbs after getting the Jimmy started. A Jimmy is suppose to start at about 66 lbs and then run at a slightly lower pressure. I put in a new fuel pump and all is well. Hope this saves someone from paying a dealer big bucks to diagnose the problem. That's what I wanted when I made the previous post.

BlueMonster
01-23-2006, 12:50 PM
This could also be a small pinhole kind of leak in a fuel line causing the fuel pressure to lose it's "prime" when sitting for a bit.

Add your comment to this topic!