Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air vent buttons troubles

jalbs
12-13-2005, 04:49 PM
I have 1992 Buick LeSabre and now the air vent buttons will only switch some of the time. Most of the time it will stay stuck and I can't switch it for hours maybe even days. I guess I could leave it on defrost for winter and switch it to A/C in the summer but if anyone knows a fix please enlighten me.

Thx,
Bryan

Loekee75
12-13-2005, 05:30 PM
I have 1992 Buick LeSabre and now the air vent buttons will only switch some of the time. Most of the time it will stay stuck and I can't switch it for hours maybe even days. I guess I could leave it on defrost for winter and switch it to A/C in the summer but if anyone knows a fix please enlighten me.

Thx,
Bryan

Does your LeSabre have climate control or standard a/c and heat? I had a similar problem with my PA with the standard a/c...it turned out to be a short in the cigar lighter socket of all places! That socket (in LeSabres and PAs) is connected with the a/c controls and the interior lights. The a/c controls would switch the power on, even if I were to have it turned off previously. Then, every time I opened one of the doors (or even the glove box) the a/c controls would no longer be functional, so the a/c would stay on. I replaced the cigar lighter and that solved the whole problem! I don't know if yours is any way effected by the same problem, but it could be a problem with your circuit connected with the interior lights, cigar lighter or glove box light.

jalbs
12-13-2005, 10:46 PM
The funny thing is my lighter socket slides out at times and I have to push it back in so I am going to check that. Thanks

kram5527
02-06-2006, 10:00 PM
I had a similar situation with my 96, it turned out to be a vacuum line problem. Try the following:
1. Locate the vacuum accuator/relays (for the 96 under the dash on the passenger side)
2. Attach a hand held vacuum pump to the vacuum INPUT and remove between 5 to 10 in-Hg from ambient pressure (you will need to remove the vacuum conector to the relay).
3. Press buttons on the controller switching between heater, vent, defrost and recirculate. One of these positions will release the vacuum if it is functioning correctly.
4. Hook the spupply to the pump and see if the system can pull to 15 to 25 in-hg on the dial. If it can't, trace the vacuum line to the engine compartment (passenger side of the firewall by the blower motor) until the leak is found.
5. On my 96, my vacuum supply was bad and I traced it into the engine compartment. Once in the engine compartment, I traced the failure to a hole in the vacuum recevoir located in the passenger fender near the headlight.

I hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!