Paint removing with nail polish remover

Digitor
12-13-2005, 01:39 AM
I know there are a million and one ways to remove paint (the first half being CSC and the remainder oven cleaner) but has anyone tried nail polish remover?

I have no CSC currently and my oven cleaner has dried on the body. I need an alternative!

Please let me know about your experiences, good or bad. Thanks in advance.

sjelic
12-13-2005, 02:22 AM
No way, they are aceton (maybe not caled like that in english) based and that eats an melts plastic like crazy. So forget it.

Lambo003
12-13-2005, 02:49 AM
Had good luck with Lestoil, Pine-sol or any other degreaser like these.

I've had good luck with Lestoil. Had to strip several pocher kits and due to the size of the models, it was a very cost effective way to strip paint.

Works especially well on resin too!

Digitor
12-13-2005, 07:00 AM
No way, they are aceton (maybe not caled like that in english) based and that eats an melts plastic like crazy. So forget it.

You mean acetone?

I'll find some scrap plastic and try it before ruining my masterpiece. :tongue:

Macdaddy4738
12-13-2005, 07:11 AM
yea man, acetone will eat that plastic for dinner. Acetone will completely dissolve some threads, nylon comes to mind..

MPWR
12-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Yeah, forget trying to strip in acetone- it will destroy the plastic. It would be like trying to strip in laquer thinner.

First thing I would try would be isopropyl alcohol. Safe, cheap, easy to get, and it will more than likely work. It's an excellent solivant -it'll remove automotive paints, and nail polish can't be much tougher than laquers.

freakray
12-13-2005, 08:06 AM
You'll destroy the plastic of the model, just strip paint like it's been recommended here 1000 times.

cyberkid
12-14-2005, 10:10 AM
I know there are a million and one ways to remove paint (the first half being CSC and the remainder oven cleaner) but has anyone tried nail polish remover?

I have no CSC currently and my oven cleaner has dried on the body. I need an alternative!

Please let me know about your experiences, good or bad. Thanks in advance.

hrm.. I actaully USE acetone to strip minor areas using a q-tip and my mouth :biggrin: ... what I do is wet the Q-tip and scrub a little then blow it dry... it can take of paint in small areas without harming too much around it... but needs a lot of care...
In my experience, if you soak a model in acetone: 15 minutes will losen the top layers of paint, 30 will melt detail, 60 will destroy any surface of your model... overnight? hehe... have a look a your new ball of plastic fudge :iceslolan

but actually acetone is good to use for cleaning your tools.. mixing jars, brush tips, and clogged up airbrushes.

anyway.. BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU USE ACETONE!!!!!

As for stipping I use Dot 4 brake fluid, I just chuck the peice to be stripped in a bucket of it and leave it 5-48 hours.. time depends on what type of paint you use and how long it's dried.

Steve

astroracer
12-16-2005, 08:40 AM
I use acetone to strip paint... You have to be quick and don't let it sit on the bare plastic. I use a coarse Scotch-Brite pad and oily nail polish remover and do it one panel at a time. Try it on a scrap piece first to get the hang of it but it works fine as long as you don't let it linger... I have done this for years with good results every time...
The alcohol mentioned above is a good degreaser but it will not remove paint. Sorry...
Mark@MAS

MPWR
12-16-2005, 09:15 AM
The alcohol mentioned above is a good degreaser but it will not remove paint. Sorry...
Mark@MAS

It certainly will remove paint. 99% isopropyl will strip laquers and acrylics, at no risk to the underlying plastic. Try it.

ZoomZoomMX-5
12-16-2005, 09:48 AM
While I have no experience using any nail polish remover; there are non-acetone variations of nail polish remover, and I've heard some have had good luck with using it, especially IIRC removing tampo-printed graphics. Not sure about entire paint jobs.

Polly S Easy Lift Off is a good paint remover, don't soak/immerse, just wipe it on and let it do it's work. It's very similar to brake fluid.

91% or 99% alcohol will remove many paints, but there may be some that it's impervious on. It did a fantastic job stripping a pre-painted Polar Lights Ford GT for me. It will remove some fresh lacquers, but the longer they dry the less effective it is. Since it's dirt cheap, that's what I'd try next.

Also heard that Dawn Power Dissolve is a good new product that works for paint stripping. Haven't tried it yet.

Add your comment to this topic!