Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bizarre Alarm Problem on '99 Rodeo

nodaclu
12-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi all,

I've searched and seen several posts where people have their alarms go off randomly, but I've haven't seen, or heard of anything quite like this before.

With stunning regularity (and usually about 2am in the morning - I'm *really* popular with my neighbors) my alarm will go off, and won't shut off until I go out and physically shut it off.

Now here's the weird part - the only time it does this is when the outside air temperature drops below freezing!!!

At no other time does the alarm ever malfunction. I temporarily solved the problem last winter by putting a small space heater in the garage. But I've moved since then, and can no longer put the Amigo in the garage.

I thought I had solved the problem by not setting the alarm at night, but lo and behold, it went off again at 2:20am this morning. This also happened to be the first night we dropped below freezing in 10 days - exactly the last time the alarm malfunctioned in the middle of the night.

If anyone can offer any thoughts on this, I'd really appreciate it. I've already checked the hood and tailgate pins, and can't find a problem there.

Thanks in advance,
~Mike

Gizmo42
12-12-2005, 06:26 PM
check the pins on all the doors, as well as hood and tailgate ones again when it is really cold. when the switches get cold they are more prone to stick and not make contact. partly because of the grease on them and partly because of the rubber boots which are stiffer when its cold.

Also check that the locks are fully locking, one of them might be iffy and the switch that tells the alarm that they are locked might be losing contact after a while as the temp drops.

nodaclu
12-12-2005, 07:27 PM
check the pins on all the doors, as well as hood and tailgate ones again when it is really cold. when the switches get cold they are more prone to stick and not make contact. partly because of the grease on them and partly because of the rubber boots which are stiffer when its cold.

Also check that the locks are fully locking, one of them might be iffy and the switch that tells the alarm that they are locked might be losing contact after a while as the temp drops.
Thanks a bunch for the ideas...

I do recall that the hood pin was a little sticky when I most recently checked it. Sounds like that would be a good place to start.

Thanks again!

rodeo02
12-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Very common. It's almost always the hood pin switch on the 1998+. Locate the rubber boot covered switch near the left/rear corner. Just bend the bracket up so it makes better contact with the underside of the hood.

Joel

nodaclu
12-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Very common. It's almost always the hood pin switch on the 1998+. Locate the rubber boot covered switch near the left/rear corner. Just bend the bracket up so it makes better contact with the underside of the hood.

JoelWill do.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys. I really appreciate it!

~Mike

Add your comment to this topic!