Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

bov

97cavalier
12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
I have a 87 supra turbo, and i was going to get a louder bov. And the one i was looking at say from 11-30 psi, mine is stock so it normaly runs between7-8 but it has been to 11 befor when i stomped on it. So i was going to put a bigger intercooler on it. But will the bov work if it is only 11-30psi?

TcmaBoy
12-12-2005, 09:15 PM
In a word , no. If the lowest setting is 11 PSI, and you are only running 7 or 8, then it won't do its job. All you will get is a blown up turbo.

Why don't you put the money into a boost controller and a piggy back fuel computer first? Or some other modification that will actually do something. A different BOV isn't going to do anything for your stock engine.

97cavalier
12-12-2005, 09:40 PM
In a word , no. If the lowest setting is 11 PSI, and you are only running 7 or 8, then it won't do its job. All you will get is a blown up turbo.

Why don't you put the money into a boost controller and a piggy back fuel computer first? Or some other modification that will actually do something. A different BOV isn't going to do anything for your stock engine.
i have a boost controler but won't that hurt the motor or turbo running it that high?, on a stock turbo?

97cavalier
12-12-2005, 09:42 PM
i have a boost controler but won't that hurt the motor or turbo running it that high?, on a stock turbo?
And what are some other mods i can do to get the hp up?

TcmaBoy
12-12-2005, 11:23 PM
The stock turbo will handle 12 psi just fine. If you do up the boost you need a piggy back fuel computer, and an afr monitor so you can tune the motor for the increased air flow. An aftermarket boost gauge is handy as well. The stock unit isn't much good over stock boos levels. When you do these mods then you can start looking to a new BOV, and an exaust system.

Stay away from cold air intakes. They are only shiney tubes. They don't give a performance increase. All of the units I have seen sit in the exact same place and shape of the stock unit. Toyota does a good job of designing intake systems.

A 3 inch exaust is another good idea. Don't just go and get a muffler. It won't do anything except make noise. You need to run it from the manifold back. Get a nice high flow cat to go with. Don't worry about shopping for aftermarket pre fab units. You can have your local shop do one up fairly cheap. A flowmaster muffler is arround $40. A catco universal cat is only $60-$70. Don't pay any more than that. A complete 3 inch system including cat should come in under $500.

97cavalier
12-13-2005, 03:42 PM
The stock turbo will handle 12 psi just fine. If you do up the boost you need a piggy back fuel computer, and an afr monitor so you can tune the motor for the increased air flow. An aftermarket boost gauge is handy as well. The stock unit isn't much good over stock boos levels. When you do these mods then you can start looking to a new BOV, and an exaust system.

Stay away from cold air intakes. They are only shiney tubes. They don't give a performance increase. All of the units I have seen sit in the exact same place and shape of the stock unit. Toyota does a good job of designing intake systems.

A 3 inch exaust is another good idea. Don't just go and get a muffler. It won't do anything except make noise. You need to run it from the manifold back. Get a nice high flow cat to go with. Don't worry about shopping for aftermarket pre fab units. You can have your local shop do one up fairly cheap. A flowmaster muffler is arround $40. A catco universal cat is only $60-$70. Don't pay any more than that. A complete 3 inch system including cat should come in under $500.
It alredy has a coustome exhast on it it has a midas muffler and it is dumped with no cat. And i have a boost controler so where do i get that piggy back system? And is that all i need to run a aftermarket bov? just a boost controler and a pigy back fule system. I am also going to install a bigger aftermarket intercooler i can get one off ebay for about $200.

M3 Special
12-14-2005, 05:09 PM
if you want a really loud bov that wont blow up your turbo, then go to MVPmotorsports.com. they have a universal one that will run from 2-10 PSI.

97cavalier
12-14-2005, 09:40 PM
if you want a really loud bov that wont blow up your turbo, then go to MVPmotorsports.com. they have a universal one that will run from 2-10 PSI.
see but i will probly be running from 12-13 psi.

djcrypt
12-15-2005, 06:56 AM
which engine do you have? this is very important cause different 87 engines have different weaknesses/strengths. mine is a 1g-gte and it can run 15-16 with f con, ic, boost con, exsaust sys and pod filter. i have a HKS bov and sounds kinda weak, but when i cranck the boost up, it should sound nuts.

if im wrong, feel free to correct me.. :D

M3 Special
12-15-2005, 03:04 PM
see but i will probly be running from 12-13 psi.

they have ones for those boost levels too.

97cavalier
12-15-2005, 06:31 PM
they have ones for those boost levels too.
i think mine is a 3mgte

Yellow 13
12-15-2005, 06:46 PM
You should have a 7MGTE. 87' was the first year Supra turbos.

97cavalier
12-15-2005, 07:41 PM
You should have a 7MGTE. 87' was the first year Supra turbos.
ya you know what i think i do, the car is being check at the dealer so i can't look sorry, i think that is it. What do these turbos hold psi?

Yellow 13
12-16-2005, 04:16 AM
I believe they are stock at 9 PSI and that they will safely run up to 12 PSI. Anything farther than that I would suggest getting an aftermarket turbo. you might be able to squeeze some more out of it by getting a larger oil cooler and anything else you can get to keep it cooler.

djcrypt
12-16-2005, 06:14 AM
i strongly recommend you up your head gasket. those engine, i believe, are known for doing heads. so get that done first. im sure someone will soon tell you step by step what to do, so hang in there till a pro helps you aout in the forum.

good luck bro!

97cavalier
12-16-2005, 03:57 PM
i strongly recommend you up your head gasket. those engine, i believe, are known for doing heads. so get that done first. im sure someone will soon tell you step by step what to do, so hang in there till a pro helps you aout in the forum.

good luck bro!
The head gasket was replaced not to long ago with e metal one, so it should be fine.

Add your comment to this topic!